Amy-77’s Posts

Amy-77
on 6/5/17 10:12 am
Topic: RE: Tummy tuck, arm lift, and breast lift

Good afternoon I went thru the same surgeries almost 6 months ago (Dec. 29th) and am very pleased with the results and the pain is totally worth it! The first few days were ok as I was still very numb from the local but pain meds helped me get thru the first week and a half. Just stay on top of your schedule to keep the pain to a manageable level. Remember to keep your arms elevated as much as possible to reduce swelling, I will say that is the one area I will probably have revised as there is still too much loose hanging skin.

Watch your nutrition after surgery, I unfortunately slipped during recovery and did not eat as well as I wish I would have!

Wishing you a fast recovery! :)

Height: 5'6    Highest Weight: 386     Surgery Weight (12/3/14): 344    Enjoy every day!

Amy-77
on 3/12/17 4:06 pm
Topic: RE: First Consult Done...

I underwent the panni removal insurance approved/covered (turned into full tummy tuck), and paid out of pocket for breast augmentation and arm lift. I had to pay out of pocket/up front the surgeons fees for the breast augmentation and arm lift and pay up front to the hospital and anesthesiologist for the time spent on the arm and breast portion. My fees for all of that out of pocket/up front was half of what your surgeon is charging. I did have my surgery in Wisconsin and not NYC so there would be cost variations but I agree early 20k for just a breast augmentation seems extreme.

Definitely get several quotes! Good Luck!

Height: 5'6    Highest Weight: 386     Surgery Weight (12/3/14): 344    Enjoy every day!

Amy-77
on 1/5/17 5:54 pm
Topic: RE: Recovering from tummy tuck, breast augmentation and arm lift!!!

I bought a used power lift recliner and have a toilet seat that a goes higher.  without these two things I'm not sure I would have gotten thru this first week as easily as I have.    the pain from the muscle repair is still pretty nasty but the arms and boobs are doing  well.  I am one week out today and had a follow up appointment with the surgeon and they pulled 3 out of the 4 drains today.   that was not as bad as I thought it would be, no pain just odd feeling.   Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Amy-77
on 12/30/16 8:47 pm
Topic: RE: Recovering from tummy tuck, breast augmentation and arm lift!!!

Wed I went in for panni removal (insurance covered) along with breast augmentation with 460cc silicone gummy bear implants and arm lift paid out of pocket.

I have an awsome Dr and the panni turned into full tummy tuck with muscle tightening.  I can not belive I have  a flat tummy ! !   he removed 6lbs off my abdomen (I will upload photos as soon as possible.   my arm lift goes from elbow to the side of my chest to get rid of all that extra stuff that would hang outide my bra.  he then put in my implants and repositioned my nipples!! 

Largest pain is from the muscle tighting in my tummy but I am soo thankful he did it!!

Pain has been mostly tolerable, I would love to know how long the pain from the muscle repair  lasts??

Amy-77
on 12/20/16 8:26 am
Topic: RE: Liquid or Pill pain medicine for post recovery (TT, BA & Arm Lift)

Thank you for replying!  My surgeon puts in some type of numbing medicine in the abdominal area to help keep that numb for about 3 days, I am hoping that is the case!  I will take your advice to heart and set an alarm to take the pain med's at night.

Amy-77
on 12/20/16 5:31 am
Topic: RE: Liquid or Pill pain medicine for post recovery (TT, BA & Arm Lift)

I'm going in next week Wed. to have a Tummy Tuck, Breast Augmentation (gummy bear silicone under muscle) and arm lift.  This is being planned for out patient and I'm worried about pain management.  After the RNY surgery they put me on liquid Vicodin which did help great for pain, since then I have had the pill form of Vicodin a couple of times and it only worked once the other time it had my stomach in so much pain I thought I was going to have to go to the ER.

My question is what did you take after your surgery and was it liquid or pill form?  I'm trying to determine if I should push for the liquid form of pain medicine.  I do not have a high tolerance for pain and my mother who will be caring for me is probably more worried than I am.

Thank you for your responses in advance! :)

Amy-77
on 12/8/16 11:30 am
Topic: RE: Too poor for plastics but, will insurance help?

Hi it is very dependent on your insurance coverage.  My insurance is covering a panniculectomy  (code 15830) but will not cover abdominoplasty which also tightens the muscles. It took me 3 appeals to get the panni covered and I had to have a lot of documentation on issues caused by the skin overhang, be on prescription creams and antibiotics and also have documented daily activities I could not due because of the excess skin.  I was in to see my doctors every 3-4 months to document issues.  I also had to have maintained a steady weight for 6 months prior to them approving.  Call your insurance or look it up on your coverage guidelines, don't hesitate that way you know for sure and will know if there is anything you need to do proactively to get it covered.

I was able to combine procedures with my panni removal and will also be paying for my arm's and boobs out of pocket but it is slightly less since I'm having them done all at the same time (Dec. 28th is the day and I am sooo excited).

What was your recovery like for your arm procedure?  Anything you found helpful in the recovery phase?

Amy-77
on 12/2/16 9:13 am
Topic: RE: Breast Augmentation - sizing questions

Thank you so much for your feedback!  With your lower body lift did your surgeon do any muscle tightening?  

Amy-77
on 12/2/16 7:26 am
Topic: RE: Breast Augmentation - sizing questions

Hi all, I am finally approved for the panni removal (only took 3 appeals!!!) and I am paying out of pocket to have my arms and breasts done at the same time.   I am a bit scared to have all the procedures done at once but it is much cheaper to do them all together and then it is only one down time vs multiple thru the next year or so.  I already purchased an automatic recliner that also lifts me to a standing position and my mom is on standby to take care of me the first week :)

I really have questions from those that have already had breast augmentation on sizing.....I went in for my sizing appointment yesterday and decided to go with 450 cc silicone implants (placed under muscle).  I'm currently 5`6 and 170 lbs and my boobs have deflated to about an A however I still wear about a C in bra's as I have to stuff all the excess skin in.  I would like to end up at about a D cup and wondering what others have gone with for implants and what size you ended up and if you wish you would have gone bigger or smaller?   I just would hate to go thru this and in the end feel like they came out too small.

Also wondering what you would recommend for clothing after surgery.  I'm thinking I'm going to need something that buttons up the front??

Feedback and hints for things I may need and what your recovery was like and what you found most helpful is greatly appreciated!  I understand everyone's journey is different however more information the better.

Thank you

Amy-77
on 8/11/16 8:44 am
Topic: RE: Denied.... advice on appeal process

Hello all, I don't post often but check in daily and I'm hoping some who have gone thru the appeal process are willing to share your experience and provide some guidance.

A little background.... I had RNY in Dec. 2014 (Starting weight 386, surgery weight 344 and current 168.5) I've lost a total of 217 pounds from the beginning of my journey in August of 2014.  With a 217 pound weight loss there is some significant skin left over though my surgeon was surprised I did not have more excess skin and issues than I do .  My tummy and arms are the worst and my thighs are getting worse the last several months.  My breasts are severely deflated and have a ton of excess skin around the sides/under arm area.

My surgeon planned and submitted a two stage process, 1st lower body lift and arms and the 2nd thighs and breasts.  I was denied all surgery's (panni would be covered and possible breast reduction is covered with proper documentation of what these areas of excess skin prevent me from doing and what medical reasons there are for removal).  My insurance plan will cover a panni removal however even this was denied due to not having taken an oral medication for any issues caused by the skin (I have a script now..) and as I had not maintained a steady weight in the last 6 months (I'm still very SLOWLY loosing about 2 pounds a month though I believe that has come to a final end...)  The thighs, arms and lower body (buttock lift)  were denied as they are considered cosmetic surgery and my plan does not cover cosmetic surgery.  I can tell you though the removal of the skin on my arms is not cosmetic, I have significant arm/neck/top back pain after a day of working at my new desk.  I sit at a computer 8-10 hours a day and have been moved into a new desk about a month ago which is now "ergonomic" and my arms no longer rest on my desk as they had previously and this extra skin flops and waves all day while I'm typing and by end of day I'm sore and in pain.   

I'm working on my appeal letter and looking for any ideas/suggestions on things to include to encourage approval of the surgeries I desperately need in order to move on and be able to have a normal happy life as this excess skin as many of you all know weighs me down mentally and physically.

Thank you for reading and I hope some of you will share your experience and provide guidance and I go thru this journey.

Amy-77
on 6/5/16 7:33 pm
Topic: RE: Panni removal by RNY Surgeon

Hi, I am currently 18 months (and 1 day) post op and went in for my first consult for panni removal on Friday with my RNY doctor as part of my follow up care.  He has been performing this surgery for many years (Dr. Chua) and part of my follow up care was this consult with him.  I have lost a total of 210 lbs to date and still VERY slowly loosing a few pounds a month but I'm to the point that I need this extra skin removed asap!  Has anyone else had their Gastric Bypass surgeon perform their panni removal?

He does work with another surgeon if the case is more extensive however he said I was a great candidate and my surgery would be pretty straight forward.  He showed me pictures of other people he did that had similar amounts of excess skin to remove and I was almost in tears thinking one day I will also look that good (fingers crossed).  He does fix the position of the belly button and will remove the excess skin in my "lady part" area as well.  

Just wondering if anyone else had their surgeon perform this surgery and any thoughts or concerns?

I am planning to go in for a 2nd consult with another surgeon his team works with that specializes in plastic surgery but for now I am almost leaning towards my RNY doc.

Most Active