PCOS and abscesses/boils

JEC103081
on 4/9/09 11:01 pm - Charleston, WV
I was on here reading posts a while back and someone had posted that they found a skin disease/disorder that was related to PCOS. It is not the usual hair and cystic acne issues it was something else and I am desperately trying to remember the name of the disease. Basically, it is when you get infected abscesses or boils in areas such as your groin, buttocks, arpit regions that are tender and sore, very red,etc. Not acne or pimples but actual boils or what not. The postee said they read somewhere that this skin disease was linked to the PCOS and I am looking for the name of that disease. Can anyone help?
I had surgery on 5/15/09. On that day, my new chance at life began.

sia
on 4/11/09 6:10 am - NY
I think the disorder you speak of is:  Hidradenitis suppurative.
We Are A Fever. We Are A Fever. We ain't born typical. ~ The Kills
If you have any g-ddamn sense and want WLS, think about the DS.www.dsfacts.com
JEC103081
on 4/13/09 5:02 am - Charleston, WV
thank you so much. that was driving me crazy
I had surgery on 5/15/09. On that day, my new chance at life began.

batiekall05
on 4/13/09 1:19 pm - Louisville, KY
 I have no idea what it's called, but i ABSOLUTELY HATE them!!! They're SO painful!
<3 Katie <3

Highest Weight: 316 lbs
Surgery Weight: 307 lbs (march 18, 2009)
Current Weight: 208.8 lbs
GOAL WEIGHT: 180 lbs (or less)

krissywats
on 4/16/09 2:59 am - Kew Gardens, NY
Thanks for posting this question - i've had this all my life and never knew it was linked to my PCOS. 
JSMRN8
on 4/19/09 12:04 pm - NJ
  I get something like these boils but I'm not sure if it's the same thing... but really glad to know it could be the PCOS- I was wondering what the heck it was all about!  By the way, I see you are a patient of Dr Pomp.  I have my first visit with him coming up on May 6.  How do you like him? Any advice ? 
Karen M.
on 4/23/09 1:28 am - Calabasas, CA
Hey, I was born in New Brunswick, NJ at Saint Mary's Hospital 41 yrs ago....I live in CA now.

rebbykah
on 4/16/09 9:56 pm - Canada
Ever since I was about 13 Iv been getting Bartholin cysts. (For those that don't know what they are they are located just on the inside of your lower vagina) Anyways.....I used to get them a couple of time's a year. I had 2 marsupes done on it and that would only give me a year or so without one. Anyways...as I got older.....they got worse. I was getting them at one point once a month. The prob was they would only get big enough to "almost" operate again on it. And then they would break on their own. Don't get me wrong....I was glad I only had a few days of pain...and not a few weeks like the 2 just before surgery....but it was still a pain in the ass.....Anyways...I got sick of it. I went to my OBY and I said something has got to be done.  He finally agreed with me..at this point I had way over 50 of them. He  booked me into surgery and removed the gland, so he thinks.He called it a  large mass. He sent if off to make sure it was okay. The lab said they couldn't tell if it was a gland or not due to the fact of having so many cysts it destroyed it. Iv been out of surgery now for about 7 months. And I'm still bleeding down there every so often. I do have PCOS and was wondering if it could be Hidradenitis suppurative?? I only get them in the groin. *touch wood* Anyways.....just wanted to get some more in-site of it all.

take care,

sia
on 4/17/09 2:41 am - NY
 Wow. That's just unreal. I've never had them on the inside, but I've had them on the outside, since about age 15. This I'm sure is the Hidradenitis. It hurts to touch and it almost feels like an ingrown hair that turns into a boil (you know that kind of thing?). I've rocked ten or twelve at a time and had complete misery. The only thing I know that would help (which is just effing insane on my behalf) was maximum strength  tiger balm  (again, this is on the outside of the vagina). Hurt like a mofo, but dear g-d!! It has only been in the past six months where I'm getting them elsewhere and that hurts like a mofo too. The only thing I know is that it is so directly linked to hormonal changes, which I know is instigated by the insulin resistance. I know Hidradenitis tends to aggravate the sweat gland. I'm wondering if somehow that could be linked? I've read that it is more of a follicular issue, rather than a glandular issue. Albeit, I'm thinking with the excessive androgens running rampant in our bodies if that somehow affects the hair growth and the surrounding tissues? I don't know. Here's a study that seems pretty cool

emedicine.medscape.com/article/1073117-overview
We Are A Fever. We Are A Fever. We ain't born typical. ~ The Kills
If you have any g-ddamn sense and want WLS, think about the DS.www.dsfacts.com
kellyhilde
on 4/21/09 1:18 am - Grand Rapids, MI
Very interesting!! I had my first Bartholin cyst about 2 years ago!! The most painful thing I have ever experienced in my entire life!!! The first one I had excised at the ER room after sitting at work all day in such severe pain and then barely being able to walk to the ER (I work in the hospital). The lidocane shot they gave me in the area in order to drain the cyst was horrible!!! Then I had another one about a year ago and that time I went to my doctor's office for treatment. The doctor made the incision without any numbing shot and that was so much easier to handle than the lidocane shot.

My mom also gets the severe boils (and I would put money on it that she has PCOS), even though her PCP has said she doesnt.

Kelly
347/228/200

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1043 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2990 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3600 views