X-post - Article about women with PCOS getting pregnant after WLS

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/11 2:41 pm - Markham, Canada
ca.news.yahoo.com/6-infertile-women-pregnant-weight-loss-sur gery-001204240.html

An excerpt of the article:

Weight-loss surgery may treat infertility in some obese women, a new study says.

Six women in the study who were infertile due to polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), a condition that can occur with weight gain and cause infertility, became pregnant following weight-loss surgery, the researchers say.

The study was small and more research is needed to confirm the findings. But for women with PCOS, weight-loss surgery may be a cure for infertility, said study researcher Dr. Mohammad Jamal, an assistant professor of surgery at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

"Many other studies have shown bariatric surgery can improve or resolve a multitude of diseases and conditions," including diabetes, Jamal said. "It appears that infertility now joins that list."

However, infertility experts disagree the surgery is a cure. If women with PCOS regain the weight, their infertility would likely return, said Dr. Beth Plante, a clinical assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Brown University Medical School who was not involved in the study.

"We wouldn't typically recommend having the surgery just to treat infertility," Plante said.

But she said weight loss through any means has been shown to improve fertility in those with PCOS.

"If this is how a patient chooses to achieve that weight loss, then we would usually encourage that," Plante said.

The study will be presented today (June 15) at the meeting of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery in Orlando.

sherry R.
on 6/23/11 11:52 pm
Hello,!

I have not been active on this page in ages ( a year or two lol) was diagnosed with pcos when i was 19 years old  in 1997. been living with this and i got the worse level, i have facial hair that can be worse than a 5 o'clock shadow if i dont do something about it. tried laser in 2001 did all the sessions  still kept growing . got gastrics august 13 2008  lost 110 lbs. could have lost more but did not want to be THAT skinny. got pregnant fall 2010 and had laser in summer 2010 but the doc i went to that time told me that due to pcos that laser will probably not do much to end the hair issue for you. i am now currently as of this day at 39 weeks pregnant and cango in to labor at any time!
Your faith is stronger than you think.  - my Mom
Weight: initial-320, , surgery- 291.2 now -205 had baby july 1, 2011 Regained to 242 (due to unemployment)  t goal weight _ what ever it ends at.
omma24
on 7/20/11 10:08 am
Cool!  Dr. Jamal was/is my surgeon!  =)  I am not trying to get pregnant right now..but might in the future.  I am on the Mirena iud currently.  But I will say that I have had a normal, clockwork cycle and feel that it might indeed be possible to get pregnant after all those years of infertility and pcos. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1040 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2985 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3595 views