pcos and wls

Jamie J.
on 2/29/12 8:14 am - MI
VSG on 03/15/12
 My Sleeve Doc told me that PCOS and Obesity is a symptom of each other and that PCOS goes away with weight loss.  Have you found that to be the same?

melslongjourney
on 3/4/12 11:59 pm

I have PCOS and had realize lap band surgery DEC 09, I have lost 120lbs and even after all that weight loss I still have the exact same symptoms as before. I found out recently after stopping my bcp in the effort to try to have my first child. I stopped my bcp in Oct last year and in a matter of 2 months or so I gained 25lbs without doing anything different. I had been able to maintain my weight loss for 2 years with no problems so I knew something was going on so I went to see my doctor and she said that bcp's are a treatment for pcos well then it all made sense to me. I have the insulin's resistance and that makes your body turn that extra insulin's in to fat so once I talked to my doc and had some blood work I was put on metformin to help control everything. I started out at 500mg 2 times daily and now I am taking 500mg 4 times daily. I have been on them for about 3 weeks at the lower dose and just started the new dose so I will share as times goes on what good happens. But to answer your question wls did not make my pcos go away and if it did there wouldn't be a support group here I guess. So weight may be a factor but it certainly isn't the only factor. Have you already had surgery?

~Melissa~
SW/326 CW/224 GW/175
~ 4cc added in 11cc realize- C band~ 02/08/10~
~1 cc added 03/08/10
~1 cc added 05/03/10
~ 1cc added 07/26/10
~ .05 cc added 09/09/10
~ .05 cc added 01/06/11
~ .25 cc added 06/06/11

Jamie J.
on 3/5/12 12:18 am - MI
VSG on 03/15/12
My surgery is March 15. Thanks for your answers.  I want off Metaforim.  There has to be a cure to this thing. I have already had 4 kids and my tubes are tied. 

Renee2be
on 3/17/12 9:43 pm - NC
I am off the metformin as well,  but have the mirena iud.  It offers hormonal support.   So far i have only seen an improvement in my periods.  They are regular and of a normal duration post op.   I have never had that before.  As i am still losing we will see how this goes.  PCOS has given me incredible amounts of body hair,  an in ability to carry a pregnancy to completion, and slowed weightloss.  It is a battle ladies but we can win.
jonesylaine
on 4/22/12 10:52 pm - ID
I had PCOS when I was young and thin, so I don't expect it to go away when i lose weight. I haven't yet had surgery and I am steeling myself to the idea that I will lose slowing because of PCOS and thyroid.  I think that if your PCOS came on after you gained weight, it's a possibility that it will go away with weight loss, but if you had it before the weight, probaby not.  Just my humble opinion tho!
Adrianne_Dawn
on 6/12/12 7:56 am - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
 So, I initially was going for the Lapband but once talking over with my surgeon he explained to me that the lap band will NOT fix my PCOS.  It may lower the symptoms because they say weight plays into it but it would not by any means make it go away because it does not change anything metobolically.

I instead chose the RNY Gastric Bypass because he gave me about a 90% chance that ALL my PCOS symptoms will be gone for good.  I am only 3 weeks in so far so I can't give you any info on if this is the case yet but the outlook is good.  

Each surgery has it's pro's and con's so choose what best works for you and your body.  I'd also check out more then one surgeon as I met with a Pro-Sleeve surgeon and then a Pro-RNY surgeon.  

RNY still has the best weight loss out there - vs the Sleeve and lap band. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1036 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2979 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3592 views