Post op period problems

kam0520
on 5/7/12 10:40 am - AL
I am 3 months post op, and since surgery my hormones are apparently out of control.  A little history:  I have only 1 ovary, no tubes thanks to cysts.  My periods were horrible in high school and most of my adult life I have been on Depo or Aygestin to just completely stop my periods. 

The meds I used pre-op don't seem to work anymore so my doc put me on a birthcontrol.  The first didn't work (Ortho-Cyclen) and so I'm staring my second (Desogen).  My periods are insane.  I have bled more days than not in the last month.  I am home now from work because they are so heavy I literally can not function unless I am close to a restroom.  I think I took 6 showers over the weekend.  (I'm trying not to be too graphic)  I had to file FMLA today because I have lost so much work time.  I am at my whits end.  Someone please tell me I am not alone in this after surgery.  I have spent most of the weekend just boohooing because of all of this.  My doctor is usually open to any suggestions I can bring as far as medication goes.  What has worked for you guys post-op?  Has anyone dealt with this?  I am at my whits end. 
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
JennRose
on 5/11/12 3:18 pm - CA
 I only had 1 period every 1-2 years before my WLS, which was almost 6 months ago. I have been on the depo shot ever since the surgery (hoping that the PCOS is gone & I am finally ovulating), & I have been bleeding for the entire 6 months. It's frustrating because I too bleed very heavily at times & have extremely painful cramps...not to mention my crazy hormones!  My doctor said the pill is not an option & I really don't want an IUD...so I'm not sure what other birth controll options I have.
kam0520
on 5/11/12 5:12 pm - AL
 Maybe ask your doctor to look into Aygestin (generic Norethindrone). I was on that several years preoop. It completely suppressed my period until surgery when nothing seems to!  I actually had a D&C yesterday to hopefully give me some relief.

I know the D&C wasn't my first choice but it does seem to be helping, not to mention he was able to rule out and fibroids/abnormalities that could not have shown up on an ultra sound. 

Honestly, if your doctor has not suggested something better after 6 months, maybe you should seek a second opinion. I know it sucks to even think of having to find a new GYN but there is no reason to bleed that heavy for that long. 

I hope you feel better soon!  Keep me updated I would love to know what works for you incase I need more options to suggest!
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
pagek77
on 5/23/12 5:30 am
Whoa, I'm not experiencing that, but thought I'd recommend the nuva ring. It's a little ring that you insert for 3 weeks and then remove for 1 week. Because it doesn't go through the digestive tract, you supposedly absorb it better. I used to go over a year without a period and when I got them they were very heavy and lasted for about 10 days. Since RNY I've been getting them about every 45 days and the first few were very heavy, but the most recent ones weren't too bad and only lasted about 3-4 days. I know PCOS manifests itself differently for everyone but like the other person said, I would seriously consider seeing a differnt GYN if this continues. It sounds like hell!
sthiessen
on 5/24/12 12:27 pm
First I've got to tell you I've read your blog and you are such an inspiration!  Thanks for sharing your journey!  I haven't had surgery yet but I'm 18 years into coping with PCOS and Zovia has been my life saver!  I tried ortho tri about 5 years ago and it was like miracle grow for my cysts...and I'm currently waiting on the 3rd month of my gianvi (generic Yaz) to complete so I can switch back to Zovia!  The Yaz has been a nightmare for me personally...4 weeks of bleeding...so not acceptable...Best of luck with getting this all straightened out!  It's such a headache!
Michelle P.
on 5/29/12 11:50 pm - FL
RNY on 05/14/12
my periods had been coming every 35 days with my weight loss, right up until surgery (actually was due the week of surgery) that was  2 weeks ago and still no period. My RE has me on provera to induce a cycle, but I only have to take it if my cycle goes over 90 days. I hope it comes on it's own an my body is just adjusting to the stress of surgery. I noticed my weight is up a pound which to me usually means a cycle in imminant in a week or two.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1036 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2978 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3592 views