Can you still have PCOS after losing 97 lbs post RNY?

Jeni R.
on 6/19/12 12:04 pm
RNY on 07/18/11 with
Hello all:

I was diagnosed w/PCOS in 2002. I had my RNY in July of 2011 and lost 97 lbs. However, due to sudden onset of excruciating abdominal pain, which has been going on for eight days (along with other symptoms), today I had a stat CT scan which showed a cystic lesion on my left ovary and free fluid in my pelvis. I still get the facial hair; periods are regular.

My question is: Can PCOS be causing me to still get those darn cysts and the facial hair?  I have a stat ultrasound of my ovaries tomorrow morning and see my primary care tomorrow afternoon.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Jeni

leleskaya
on 6/27/12 8:22 am
Isn't it possible that the cyst developed before?
PoohHag
on 7/13/12 4:08 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 There are lots of skinny women with PCOS.  It's not just about weight, it's about insulin resistance.
NewtoYou
on 7/15/12 12:41 am
VSG on 09/10/12
Hi Jeni! 

Sorry to tell you that once diagnosed with PCOS, you will always have PCOS; it can go dormant and have recurring cycles etc.  

Facial hair, cysts, discoloring of the skin, menstrual disruption, infertility etc are all partnered with PCOS.    With weight loss these things 'usually' go dormant, but stress, birth control, pregnancy, miscarriage, stress etc can all cause it to flare up again.

Like the lady above said, there are skinny PCOSers too, It unfortuantely isn't a cookie cutter diagnosis, there is no one size fits all.

I hope your cyst issue is fixed up (was a month ago) somtimes bcp can help with ovarian cysts, but it sounds like yours has already gone past that point.  

Good luck!  (from a fellow PCOSer!)   
msgypsylee
on 9/7/12 11:50 am
Sadly PCOS is forever.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1040 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2985 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3595 views