VSG or RNY for someone with PCOS

FearlessCourt
on 2/25/13 3:24 pm - Davenport, IA
VSG on 04/02/13

I am currently in the process of getting approved for WLS by my insurance and I am wondering which surgery is going to be the best for someone with PCOS. Can anyone share their struggles and/or triumphs with both VSG and RNY and which seems to be better for weight loss?

Keelan
on 2/26/13 3:37 am

Either will help but it will also depend on the amount of weight you have to lose. the sleeve statistics have shown you will lose 30-35% of your additional weight and bypass is 40-45% of your addition weight. Again what you choose to do after surgery can change this. 

Pcos also isn't cured by having surgery, once you have it you have. It can lie dormant for periods of time but you can also have flare ups. It's been 28 months since my surgery and I've had regular check ups with 3 ultra sounds and only 1 had show that my right ovary was at that time covered in cysts, 3 months later it was clear again.

I don't feel like the pcos slowed down my weight loss like some people have stated in the pass and I'm glad I choose to have the surgery done. I'm healthier, happier and more confident than ever.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

FearlessCourt
on 2/26/13 9:30 am - Davenport, IA
VSG on 04/02/13

Kee,

Thank you for your input. I am looking at the Sleeve and feel that will be the better for me with my job and my over all life. I am just worried that even if I follow everything that I will not loose.  I do understand that I will be living with PCOS the rest of my life I just would like to minimize the symptoms some and hopefully be able to have a baby in the near future. Again thank you for your info. enlightened

Keelan
on 2/26/13 10:52 am

You will lose, with having such a small tummy and eating very little the 1st year your body will have no choice but lose. At 1 year out I was still only able to eat about .5 to 1 cup of food and only about 2 oz of protein per sitting. Now at 28 months out I can do 1 to 1.5 cups of food and about 4 oz of chicken, less if beef or pork. Don't fear you'll have success.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

FearlessCourt
on 2/26/13 10:57 am - Davenport, IA
VSG on 04/02/13

Thank you. Hearing someone else say that they have had success with the Sleeve and PCOS Makes me feel better about choosing it. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16 and I am turning 27 in less then a month. I am ready to start a family and the PCOS is not allowing that to happen. Again thank you for the encouragement and information.

Courtney

Missy30
on 4/6/13 7:42 am, edited 4/6/13 7:43 am
VSG on 06/27/12

I have PCOS and chose the VSG.  My PCOS is not cured I still have some things going on but one thing that has happened is for the last 9 months my cycles have been on time every month that did change.  Im down 102 pounds and have 39 to my doctors goal.  My weight loss has slowed but not any more then a person with out PCOS.  Good luck with your decision. :)  Oh I should mention 19 of that loss was right before surgery on my insurance required 6 month supervised diet.

T Lady
on 11/20/13 4:04 am
Have you checked out the DS at all? I liked that it changed my insulin resistance with the intestinal change, which was first developed in Europe and used as a stand alone procedure, without the sleeve to reverse diabetes. My body processes differently now and all of my PCOS symtpoms subsided within the first few months. PCOS sucks and the DS has the best statistics for keeping weight off, long term. Whatever you choose, I wish you well and feel your PCOS pain. My advice is to research your heart out, truly hang out on each forum here and just observe. I knew that I might only get one shot at WLS and I wanted to address the metabolic change for the PCOS, as well as preserving my pyloric valve.

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/14 10:20 pm

what is DS?

Keeshaja
on 7/19/14 11:04 pm
DS on 10/21/14

Duodenal Switch check out Dsfacts

I'm Still Loving, Still Praying and Still Dreaming....

theyearofme
on 3/3/14 1:43 am
VSG on 03/28/13

I had severe PCOS and did the sleeve 11 months ago.  Within 4 months my cycles were regular and lasting 1/2 the time as before.  I also have lost 75% of my excess weight.  My surgeon said sleeve you typically can expect 60-70% of excess weight loss.  RNY is more extreme but is a better option for those that don't feel like they can control what they eat.  I've been diligent about lean protein and limiting carbs.  Talk with your dr extensively before you decide what is right for you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1040 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2985 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3596 views