Birth Control

TheDeathStar
on 12/16/13 2:57 am
VSG on 10/29/13

I've been on some sort of hormonal birth control on and off since I was 17 to help with my PCOS symptoms. I had a VSG in October and the surgeon doesn't recommend hormonal birth control (I'm on Nuva Ring now) for his patients, presumably just due to the blood clot risk of hormonal birth control on bigger ladies. Without hormonal birth control, I can go 9-12 months without a period, but then when I do get a period, it lasts 6 weeks and I feel like death. Additionally, I would like to not get pregnant. Any suggestions? I'm going to get a gynecologist soon (no longer seeing old gyno) and ask them what they think, but I worry that most gynecologists don't know how to deal with what I've been told is a huge surge of hormones caused by the weight loss. 

Zizzler
on 12/23/13 7:53 am

There are other methods - condoms, diaphragm, sponge to name a few.  I hear you about the long bleeding - had bleeding for over a year while low carbing.  I imagine it can be the same with any weight loss if you have PCOS.  Not looking forward to that part at all :-(

I would ask your family doctor to refer you to a gynecologist familiar with VSG for more information on the risks and options available to you.  Not sure how old you are now but if you are sure you are finished with pregnancy you could go the tubes tied/vasectomy route.  Let us know how it goes...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1036 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2978 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3592 views