Miscarriages then Metformin and healthy pregnancy?

xxMourningxStarrxx
on 12/17/13 4:30 pm - Joshua Tree, CA

Hi ladies!

Just wondering if any of you have had miscarriages then started taking Metformin and had a healthy pregnancy?  In April of this year I ended up pregnant after taking Clomid and I went on to miscarry for the 4th time.  I have also been diagnosed with low progesterone in pregnancy as many of us are so I was using progesterone at the time. It was the farthest any of my pregnancies has progressed.  I talked to my doc about Metformin and I've been taking it since then.  I've read that Metformin can help cut the miscarriage risk in women with PCOS so I'm wondering if any of you have had luck?  Any info and your stories are much appreciated!

:: Highest: 359 :: Pre-Op: 330 :: Current: 197:: Goal: 140 ::

xxMourningxStarrxx
on 12/17/13 4:31 pm - Joshua Tree, CA

Also, did you get pregnant on Metformin only or did you use something along with it?  How many cycles did it take you to conceive?

:: Highest: 359 :: Pre-Op: 330 :: Current: 197:: Goal: 140 ::

cutekatie
on 12/25/13 8:11 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I was diagnosed with PCOS in February of 2006. I was put on metformin at that time and was able to lose 30 pounds. I got pregnant in July of 2006. I had been trying for over 3 years at that point.

I read a lot about metformin and clearly remember the research showing that it can cut the risk of miscarriage because it helps regulate our hormones.

I have no idea if I had low progesterone or not but for me I believe the small weight loss and metformin allowed me to get pregnant.

Hope this helps.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/14 10:01 am
VSG on 03/26/14

Hi! I was diagnosed with PCOS when i was 12 (now 26) by age 17 they told me i would only ever adopt because i was in menopause (My levels are now the same as a 60 yr old!) Anyways, I took the metformin and got very ill from it due to being allergic to it, but my dr kept me on birth control pills and i ended up pregnant 4xs on it. Once a year I was pregnant, 1 i was pregnant with twins lost one at 4 months and one at 5 months, my 2nd pregnancy I was put on bed rest almost immediately and after almost losing him 3xs through out the 9 months, I have a beautiful 4 year old little boy.  My 3rd pregnancy i was 21 weeks and my 4th i was 23 weeks. I dont know if Metformin would of helped cut the risk down but i do know with PCOS its a lot easier to get pregnant on Birth Control pills. 

Jenn091308
on 4/24/14 1:42 pm

Hi, I have some personal experience with the use of Metformin during pregnancy. In 2008 I got pregnant immediately after stopping my birth control. At the time I wasn't taking Metformin since it always caused me to have stomach issues. The obgyn I was using at the time never mentioned that Metformin lowered the rate of miscarriage but she wasn't comfortable with me being pregnant at my weight. Around 9 weeks along I suffered a miscarriage. A little over a year later along with a new obgyn I got pregnant again immediately after stopping my birth control pills. As soon as I got my first positive test she called me in a prescription of Metformin. I fully believe that the Metformin helped me keep my pregnancy. I had my son at 34 weeks due to low amniotic fluid, but he was completely healthy. So I am a big advocate of using Metformin during pregnancy if you suffer from PCOS. I believe she said that without Metformin PCOS gives us a 45% chance of miscarriage and on it we are at the average rate. I was diagnosed with it when I was 21 and told that would probably never be able to have children because of the cysts that were all over my ovaries. Ladies just know that sometimes DR's are wrong. Both of my pregnancies I got pregnant after only 1 month of trying. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1036 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2978 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3592 views