Make or Break Symptoms of PCOS

HollyBell
on 2/2/14 3:25 am

Hey Gang,

I have never believed that I had PCOS.  I have never been diagnosed as having PCOS, my periods are always regular.  BUT, my husband and I have been TTC for 5 yeas with no luck, temperature tracking indicates that I am not ovulating.  He had kids in a previous marriage, so I know he is fertile.  I do have Athancosis Nigricans (neck, underarms, and inner thigs) and have struggled with skin tags for some time.  I have excess facial hair around my chin/neck too.  My weight gain started immediately after puberty and I have always been a very reasonable eater.  Tracking calories, eating fresh "real" foods, remaining active, but my body just seems REALLY good at making fat.

Is it possible that I do actually have PCOS or maybe some other kind of insulin resistance/metabolic disorder.  Or maybe I just am fat and as a result have a hormonal imbalance from the extra weight?

I guess I just assumed PCOS was off the table for me since I do get regular periods, am I wrong?

ReginaPhelange
on 2/2/14 12:39 pm
RNY on 02/24/14

Sound like pcos.  Some people with it have regular periods.  I would find a good GYN that understands PCOS and and endocrynogist     Good luck

ReginaPhelange
on 2/2/14 12:39 pm
RNY on 02/24/14

Sound like pcos.  Some people with it have regular periods.  I would find a good GYN that understands PCOS and and endocrynogist     Good luck

HollyBell
on 2/2/14 11:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, I think I should follow up with an OBGYN, I guess what is really required for a PCOS diagnosis would be cysts on the ovaries, how is that diagnosed? Ultrasound?

P.S. I LOVE YOUR FORUM NAME!!

ReginaPhelange
on 2/3/14 12:08 pm
RNY on 02/24/14

Nope cyst aren't always present.  Yes the do ultra sounds to look for them.  The lack of ovulation along along with the other symptoms you have listed.   

http://www.soulcysters.net

is a great forum for questions about pcos

SunnyGal14
on 2/24/14 5:17 am
VSG on 08/06/14

I know this post was from a few weeks ago, but just thought I'd chime in.  I too have PCOS. Sounds like you might have it.  Read my profile.  I went to a reproductive endocrinologist who diagnosed me. My PCP and regular obgyn did not catch it.

Vsg on 8/6/14  5'8" HW 266 SW 243 CW 169 GW 155. 

LISER617
on 5/2/14 4:34 am - MA
RNY on 08/01/14

I have ALWAYS had regular periods and just wasnt ovulating on my ownand have been diagnosed with PCOS. It did start with an ultrasound where they found cyts but I also have Athancosis Nigricans an Insulin resistance. It definatly sounds to me like you likely have PCOS but im not a doctor. Go get checked out. If your trying to TTC and your not ovulating they will give you some Clomid and hopefully you will be good. Worked for me!

LalahRose
on 7/30/14 8:10 am - Canada
RNY on 08/19/14

PCOS symptoms are quite variable - for example, roughly 60% of women are obese. I have two girlfriends who have PCOS who are not obese. Kinda embarrassing because you know what people are thinking. I have always eaten lots of veggies and healthy foods and got a lot of exercise.

Some women have  hirsutism (excess  or dark hair) and male pattern baldness. Some women only experience infertility symptoms. PCOS symptoms are all across the board and many are undiagnosed because of that.

It does sound as though you have PCOS. Hang in there.

maxsmom77
on 11/8/14 10:08 am - Poe-dunk Southern, IN

There are actually 4 types of PCOS. I have one type, my daughter has another. Took me 9 years to conceive, but I bleed 24/7-365 a year (unless I was on the pill - which I still am at 49). My adult daughter has always had normal periods. My testerone levels are high, hers are normal.  Do a search for 4 types of PCOS. I'm sure you'll be able to locate which one you have. And  yes, it does sound like you have it. Oh and I should note, I was thin my entire young adult life until I went to college and felt that at 5'4" I wasn't thin enough (my dad always told me how pretty I'd be if I just lost weight), at 125lbs. So I extreme dieted and exercised down to 108 and did some modeling. I was finally thin, but hungry and exhausted.  I finally just went back to "regular" eating and gained 60lbs in 6 months.  That's when all the problems began and that was over 30years ago. My daughter has always been a little rounder than the other girls, but has  never gotten to be my size. We of course has her insulin levels checked (have your FASTING insulin levels checked) at 12 years old and they were all whacked out. We got her on Metformin then and she has slimmed down and done great. She knows NOT to extreme diet though. ;)  Hope that helps.

Yvonne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1036 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2978 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3592 views