PCOS ovarian cyst after RNY surgery ????

Melinda W.
on 2/4/04 4:45 am - Galt, Ca
I had my RNY surgery 12-04-03 and have had to go back in twice for dilitations. The next day after the last dilitation I had emmence stomache pains. I called the Dr. they sent me to ER immediately. I was addmitted thinking it was a rupture or a leak to the pouch. after 6 days many scans, xrays, and ultrasound they discovered a 3.2 cyst on my right ovary they said if it was a 4 they would remove it but they couldn't justify another surgery on me so they released me on pain meds. I have followed up with PCP on monday and again today. Can't get into the GYN for 2 weeks (well I guess it should rupture by then and I will be o.k. from what he says. They want to put me on birth control pills (never worked before) plus my mom and several of her sisters and aunts have a breast cancer that feeds on estrogen so I don't see this as an option for me. I had a hysterectomy 18 months ago to avoid more cyst problems. Told the surgeon then to remove all but refused because of my age. They are now suggesting glucophage but won't know till I go to GYN what route she wants to go. Any ideas or suggestions? I just what to be out of this pain and do not wish to repeat it again.... Melinda W.
Debbie J.
on 2/7/04 7:31 pm - Reno, NV
Hi Melinda, Im so sorry that you have to go through all this right now. I know what it's like to be in ongoing pain(fibromyalgia). I have been on glucophage for many many years for pcos and I think it has helped. I'm a bit concerned though about the birth control idea. I tried that route several times, and found the side effects to not be worth it. Although I see my gyno every year, I also see my endocrinologist on a regular basis, to oversee my endocrine problems (thyroid, pcos & hypoinsulimenia). I think it may be a good idea for you to seek the advice of an endocrinologist too. Hope this helps & God Bless. Debbie
lisamfriend
on 3/31/04 2:52 pm - Elk Grove, CA
Hi Melinda - I'm hoping this response isn't too late but please, request to see an endocrinologist - they'll be a big help. I had an ovarian cyst rupture in November - it's not a comfortable experience. I was told there was not a lot they could do for it so I don't know that even the birth control pills would have helped. I just remember it being a very painful experience! I would ask the endocrinologist if there is anything you could take that is not estrogen filled that will help cease some of the cysts. Also, I'm not sure what insurance you have, but when I was first diagnosed, I had a UC Davis doctor who gave me the e-mail address for another colleague who specialized in pcos and cyst growth. Let me know if you'd like it! Good luck with everything! Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1040 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2985 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3596 views