Post OP PCOS and Glucophage

jennifer R.
on 4/12/04 3:11 pm - fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 03/19/04 with
I am 3 weeks post op. I have pcos. Before surgery I was taking glucophage and it helped with all the symtoms that I had and got me back to normal. While in the hospital they *****ed my finger 4 times a day and checked my sugars. I kept asking why they were doing this since I do not have diabetes. They just said the doctor wanted them to. Went to doctor today. Everything is okay. I asked about the glucophage and he stated that he did not want me to take them due to the fact he thinks I might become hyperglycemic and then need to eat something sweet and so on. I was asking about it cause it made my cycles normal and not that I like having them I know that a women is suppose to have them. So, will mine make an appearance or will I go right back into not having them or all of a sudden one day out of the blue BAM there it is? Another thing is the weight gain that I experienced before taking glucophage without being able to loose anything no matter what I did do to the insulin resistance. Will this hamper my weight loss with this surgery?
SarahB
on 4/15/04 1:43 am - Litchfield, MN
I was told that with the weight loss most of my pcos problems will go away! And no i will never need Glucophage again. And yes at some point our cycles will become noraml... or closer to that. WLS has worked for many pcos women. I have heard that being active helps with our low motalboisums! I can't wait for my wls!
Priestess1974
on 4/17/04 3:48 am - GRAND PRAIRIE, TX
I wish I had answers for you. I AM diabetic, and have PCOS, among other things. I have to take birth control to have my cycle. If I skip a month and I DO start, it's 1 day and very very heavy and painful. I am having surgery in about 16 days. I too, am hoping that this will help with my PCOS. I really hope you can get some answers, sorry to not be much help. Susan
Dinka Doo
on 4/22/04 9:40 pm - Medford, OR
Not so much the weight loss as the fact that your pancreas isn't pumping out loads of insulin is the reason for not needing the Glucophage. I did Atkins for years and quit losing (surprise/was eating too much) but my cycles got pretty normal and I was able to conceive my son that way. The more of a rest you give your pancreas, the more normal your cycles will become. I was diabetic (type 2) also but need nothing at this time. I was shocked because I had the most regular cycle since I was 12, and that was I got my period 4 weeks to the day after I got my period right after surgery. That is a record for me!!! Anyway, that is why we have increased fertility after wls - our hormones get back into a normal mode and we are suddenly fertile. My MIL gets the Enquirer and I couldn't resist reading the story on the back page this week. It was a woman who got pregnant 3 months after wls and didn't realize it until she was due! She noticed the kicks and rolls but her surgeon blew it off as her getting used to her new pouch. Go figure! Quite the story - but not totally uncommon for us "Cysters!" Dina
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1042 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2989 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3600 views