Seborrhea...a symptom of PCOS?

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/04 9:46 am - Vancouver, WA
This is kinda embarrassing but I've had this rash on the back and sides of my scalp since I was 14 (I'm 35 now). It was diagnosed by a dermatologist as seborrhea. Somewhere I heard that seborrhea was a symptom of PCOS. Has anyone else heard this? I've had PCOS since my early teens as well. No product I've tried, prescription shampoos and lotions, OTC shampoos...work. The only thing that seems to help is frequent washing (two times a day or more). The fact that I'm already losing so much hair from the WLS isn't helping!! Clumps of hair is falling out. Makes me wanna cry. Stress makes it worse too. I hate it and am afraid it could develop into something much worse (Cancer) since I've been scratching it constantly for 21 years. I would appreciate any info anyone has on this. Thanks for listening anyway. Michelle L.
Dinka Doo
on 11/1/04 5:29 am - Medford, OR
Michelle - I'm not sure it's a symptom of PCOS. I've not really heard of it as being one, but I wouldn't be surprised. I have it also but it's more under control now. One thing that helps a lot is Nizoral shampoo - prescription strength. You can get it online in Canada and it's a lot cheaper than trying to get an Rx of it here in the US. There it runs around $14.00 a bottle...here my CO-PAY is $25.00 for the same bottle. Anyway, this really does help a lot, so you might try it out and see if it works for you. Another reason you can buy it online from Canada is that it has been shown to stimulate hair growth, so this might be double good for you. Let me know if you try it and how it goes. Until then, don't feel bad about using some cortisone cream to get it under control. You need to get rid of the flaking and itching in order to heal properly. Dina
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1042 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2989 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3600 views