I posted this on main board as a reply to someone

Allison M.
on 11/28/04 11:51 am
Metformin helps regulate periods, lowers testosterone levels, helps with insulin issues, if you have them, helps with weight loss, etc....I could go on and on. It has changed my life. I was diagnosed with PCOS at about a year post op. That's when everything went screwy, after most of my weight loss had occurred. I had a period for three weeks, then I gained seven pounds and had terrible acne outbreaks. I felt horrible. I am not insulin resistant or Diabetic. I have never had high glucose levels, even pre op, but for some reason Metformin helps me with most of my PCOS issues. I see a great Endocrinologist who knows how to treat PCOS. She has prescribed Metformin for me. I have been on it for a year and a half. "Is there any benefit to using insulin-sensitizing medications to treat lean PCOS patients or those who do not test as being insulin resistant? Some doctors do give insulin-sensitizing medications to patients with PCOS, including lean women, whether or not they test as clearly being insulin resistant. Many patients appear to experience improvements in symptoms and cycling. The cause of this improvement is unclear." I got this info from this site: http://www.inciid.org/faq.php?cat=infertility101&id=2
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1036 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2978 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3592 views