return of pcos symptoms

kimberly M.
on 1/9/05 3:58 am - knoxville, TN
I am 9 months out lost about 100 lbs still have 150 to go. Had been off aldactone and actos for 8 months and eventually all the hair came back but my blood sugar is OK also blood pressure creeped back up.Tried to take liquid form of metformin made me really sick and irritated pouchie so stopped. Now am on 100 aldactone for 2- 3 months and hair is better but continue to lose slowly so asked endo nurse pratitioner to put me back on actos 15 mg to start. Anyone out there notice something similar ? I too have had a hard time with convincing endo that just because BS is OK doesn't mean PCOS is gone. Luv Kim M. in TN
Allison M.
on 1/9/05 2:25 pm
Have you had your Testosterone or DHEA levels checked? Elevated levels can cause hair loss, unexplained weight gain, acne, and irregular periods. I was about seven months post op when I began losing hair, gaining weight and having irregular periods. I was finally diagnosed with PCOS at about a year post op. My Endocrinologist prescribed Metformin. I take the pill form, without any problem. It began to lower my testosterone levels. I requested Spironolactone for the hair loss. I began taking the combination of pills about a year ago. All of my symptoms have improved. I am not insulin resistant and have never had problems with my blood sugars, but for some reason the Metformin works. Good Luck.
Kellie D.
on 1/14/05 10:21 pm - Norway, ME
Kimberly, From what I understand PCOS is here, it is a genetic flag...the heredity is there like a badge for us to wear. People can be PCOS that can control there weight. I wi**** was easy enough to drop the DX off at the Bariatric surgeons door! Of course I am not a medical proffesional...yet I have lived the life with the PCOS cancers etc etc. Like with any endocrine service person, or doctor, or nurse, etc etc, if you are not satisfied with there point of view, find another. Keep searching until you are comfotable. Its YOUR body. This goes for everything. We as obese people figure that we are lesser humans! NO WE ARE NOT.....you know your body. Sorry, I get on my soap box. But like i said, you know what you need, and until someone gives you a good reason to change your opinion or shows you then keep pushing your needs. Has anyone checked out the article in the New England Journal of medicine on the use of 1/2 ts cinnamon powder a day? I had good BS and felt good with the use of it, Still do, lol....but it lowers blood sugars, opens the cells to utilize the insuline, my doc chuckled at me then he started putting his patients on it! All have done well, PCOS and Diabetic. It doesnt interact with any meds, its over the counter and lowers my cholesterol....hmmm, give it a try. sure beat Metformin!!!! Take care, sorry this was so long, and good luck! ~Kellie, Maine
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1042 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2989 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3600 views