Metformin? Anyone taking this med for PCOS?

gmb0899
on 5/4/05 1:12 am
Hello All! I have PCOS and just started taking Metformin. One 500 mg a day for seven days, then 2 a day for 7days, until I reach 3 a day. This med hurts my intestines and gives me gas and a headache!! I was wondering if any of you have had to deal with the side effects of this medication and if they will go away! Do you have any tips to help relieve the side effects? Should I stay away from certain foods? Thanks for listening!
AK
on 5/4/05 6:37 am - western, MA
Hi Margaret - yes, I take metformin too. I started the same way as you, 1 a day first, 2 a day after the first week or so, and finally up to 3 a day. My doctor told me not to be in a big hurry to get to 3 a day - to take my time. So I stayed on "2 a day" for a couple weeks before increasing. Yes, bathroom problems are a big part of metformin, mostly at the beginning. Some suggestions: take with food! never ever take on an empty stomach, especially in the beginning. Some people have to watch eggs with the meds - some people claim the eggs make the side effects worse! I've heard that salads do this too for others....you will have to pick and choose. Basically, you should try to reduce your carbs as much as possible....a good website for more info is soulcysters.com. It is meant for people like us, with insulin resistance and/or polycystic ovarian syndrome. A lot of people have had great success with a diet for metformin patients called the "Insulin Resistant Diet" which primarily consists of linking your carbs with protein. Never having a carbohydrate without a protein kind of thing...By the way, your side effects will get better - but it stays bad for a little while. Many of us made sure to have access to a bathroom for the hour after taking the pillls first thing in the morning...in the afternoon, and again at night...I've been on the pills for 3 years now, and am used to them so much that I can take them on an empty stomach if needed. (But I still am afraid to do it unless I am around a bathroom!) Anyway, hope this rambled response helps. Definitely check out the website I mentioned - you'll find tons of support there.
aimeexx
on 5/11/05 2:30 am - Beaumont, CA
Hi honey- I took it too, for a few years before I had surgery. It gave me diarrhea at first but that went away as my body got used to it. It actually made me feel much better! I never had to stay away from any foods or anything. The side effects should subside within a couple of days. Aimee
Beth R.
on 5/26/05 4:44 am - Lakeland, TN
Hey Margaret. I am taking Metformin for PCOS as well, and my dosage is one 500mg tablet twice a day, for forever, I guess, or until the PCOS is either under control or gone. I was given several (read: 6 months supply) free glucophage tabs, but the dosage was different, they were all 850mg. I called my doctor who gave me the go ahead to cut the pills in half and take one half twice a day. I was pretty stoked, since I don't have any health insurance or prescription drug cards. As far as the side effects of the med, I can only say that the ones I've experienced have been slim to none. I did notice today (as I was scarfing down some chips and salsa for comfort) that once I took the glucophage, I had a bit of diarrhea. I think as long as I take it easy on junk food, I'm pretty good. I also know that some of the symptoms of PCOS are going away (crazy menstrual cycles, facial hair, etc.), and I'm also losing weight. Hang in there! You're going to do just great!
Rosemarie B.
on 5/30/05 11:56 pm - Elmira, NY
Hello, I was taking that before my surgery and now I do not have to take anything since my surgery cause it put my pcos into remission. I will tell you a few things about that medication. I dont know why you are at that dosage that is very very high. It will begin to give you diarreah pretty bad. That is one of the side effects of it. The only thing that I know you can do about it is to take the extended release form of it. That will stop everything. No more gas or intestinal pain. It is only my oppinion but you should see a second doctor and see if 1500mg of this stuff is to much. I have had pcos now for 12 years. I have had cancer from it went through menopause at 19 and did not have a cycle for 11 years. My doctor put me on 1000mgs a day and I was sick from it. I went to another doctor who put me on a lower dose cause she said to treat this diease you do not need a dose that high only a 500mg extended release. I hope that this has helped you.
platys
on 6/1/05 7:37 am - Downers Grove, IL
I take 2000mg of Metformin a day - that's a pretty standard dose for PCOS. My PCOS wasn't controlled with less. I was pretty sick from it for the first month as I ramped up, but it does get better. It did help me lose 60 pounds, but 40 of it went back on before I got my lap-band. Eating anything too fatty or sugary would go right through me - it felt a lot like people describe dumping. But, my stomach is especially delicate to it - most folks aren't as sick as I was.
Ann
on 8/21/05 6:57 am - Simi Valley, CA
Hi Rosemarie, are you in Burbank, CA ---if so, we are neighbors. How do you find out when the PCOD is in remission, what is the test? One of the several reasons I had WLS is to rectify that issue and my fertility issues as much as possible so we can get pregnant in a couple of years (found impossible with my level of PCOD and being so overweight before). Personally, how much do you think you lost before it went into remission? I had surgery on 5/17/05 AND HAVE lost 85 plus lbs so far (30 right before surgery, the other 55 since surgery) and am wondering how long it will take because we are having trouble with a consistent type of birth control. And I know from other's that getting pregnant before the 2 year mark isn't healthy for a baby and will stop my progress, maybe for good. Any info you can offer will be appreciated. Thanks, Ann
tunafish88
on 6/7/05 1:19 pm - Chelsea, MI
I just found this board. And even though this is late, I thought I would go ahead and answer it. I am pre-op and have been taking Metformin (1000 MG- extended release) for 3 years. I take both pills at night, right before bed. I have no problems with it. I did experience a day or two of diarhea, but nothing too serious, right after starting or if I forget to take it. Otherwise, it does not bother me. Oh by the way, I take mine for insulin resistance. Good luck! Tina
DBlazer325
on 8/8/05 3:09 am - Portland, OR
My PCP has me on Metformin for my type 2 diabetes. I take 2 500mg doses per day, one in the morning and one at dinner time. I also have PCOS and have no side effects from this med. I also take xenical for weight loss, I have taken it for 6 months, and have lost approximately 51 lbs. I am also pre-op, the only bad thing about xenical is that if you eat too much fat with it, you will get diahrrhea, I learned the hard way. Peggy
Ann
on 8/21/05 6:43 am - Simi Valley, CA
Hi Margaret, I take it too. Before wieght loss surgery, when I was trying to get pregnant with being MO and PCOD, I was on 1800 mg a day! Now I can't tolerate the meds anymore so I'm lucky to get 2 pills every other day or so......yuk, they make my new pouch very upset!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1036 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2978 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3592 views