For the Post-Ops - Weight Loss Seem Slow?

HusnaMonique
on 10/30/05 12:00 pm - Bay Area, CA
Is it just me, or does the weight loss seem to be slower for those of us with POS? I'm 5 weeks out and I've only lost 21lbs since surgery. I'm reading all these other posts and others are showing weight loss of 30 and 40 lbs already. I was required to lose 10% prior to surgery, so I'm actually 62 lbs down from my highest weight of 332.5, but I'm wondering if the slow weight loss could have anything to do with POS? I was reading another ladies post and she was saying that she was 5 months out and she had only lost 55 since the surgery...which is an average of 18 per month... Is anyone else experiencing this or familiar with this?
mamadawny
on 11/1/05 11:33 am - Oklahoma City, OK
Yes, that sounds like my story. I am almost 3 weeks out from my revision and only down 15 lbs. When I had my original RNY I was a slow loser as well, but 95lbs did come off and then I stalled out. I honestly didn't do a good job of following the rules that time. I am doing everything by the book this time and will be in it for the long, slow, haul.. ;) Good luck, Dawn
traci914
on 11/2/05 2:24 am - Columbus, OH
Yes, I absolutely think we are slower losers. I am 2 years out and have only lost about 90 lbs. Most of that was in the first year. I got very discouraged listening to others who lost over 100lbs in the first 6 months. Of course, it all depends on how much you have to lose to begin with, but PCOS definitely slows things down. I am struggling to lose the last 30 lbs. One thing I can give advice on ... don't let yourself slide into eating bad things during the first year. No matter what you eat, you will still lose, so it is very easy to let yourself eat the bad things without too much guilt. That's what I did, and now I am struggling to get back to the basics.
tymomrn
on 11/3/05 7:45 pm - Collingswood, NJ
WOW. I never even thought about that. I'm 5.5 months out and only down 58lbs. I thought it was just me! Thanks!
Kristy T.
on 11/16/05 2:52 am - Stockton, CA
Wow...I must be the odd one out? I have PCOS as well and my weight came off rather quickly. I hit 75% of my excess weight lost at 4 months out (87 lbs) and hit my 100 lb mark at 6 months. Of course since then it's been very slow and I haven't lost a pound since August, but I'm not really complaining...I'm at goal and reached goal at exactly 1 year post op. I think one thing we have to remember is that this surgery is different for everyone who has it. Some people are slow loosers and some people are fast loosers...but...we're all loosers! I know it's hard to not always compare ourselves to other loosers...but just remember that the surgery is as individual as we are. Good luck and happy loosing!!! Kristy 254/137/140 (heighest/current/goal)
Halina
on 12/10/05 12:41 am - NY
Yes, there are slower loser because of PCOS. But, another factor in slower weight loss is the release of estrogen that is stored in the fat. Halina
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1042 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2989 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3600 views