Recent Posts

fattofitchick
on 7/19/17 7:15 pm
VSG on 04/20/17
Topic: Will the Hirsutism Ever Mellow Out?

I'm Italian, and I have PCOS. I've come to terms that I'm not going to be hairless. However, what has really really bothered me is the fact that I have so much hair under my chin. I'm not exaggerating when I say I have a lot. I mean THICK, dark hairs, and a lot of them. I can't wax, because it makes me break out super bad, plus it grows so quickly. I have been shaving which I hate because I literally have stubble by the next morning. I have an at-home laser kit I bought from costco but not much luck with that so far, I don't think I'll be able to afford regular laser treatments for a while. I'm fair skinned and it contrasts so much. Plus I just feel extremely masculine with the facial hair. It's really hard to feel good about yourself like this.

Anyways, this is mostly just a rant, but any encouraging words would be amazing.

Surgery Date: 4/20/17 HW: 322 SW: 308 CW: 221.6 GW: 150

My personal WLS blog and wls-friendly recipes: www.fattofitchick.com

RhondaJS
on 5/29/17 5:47 pm
Topic: RE: Intermittent Fasting and PCOS - anyone have success?

Hello!

I'm a long time PCOS sufferer and also have had two WLS (VSG and recently a DS). I was on a paleo diet for a long time tried intermittent fasting when I started regaining all my weight 6 years out from my VSG surgery. I think it made my PCOS symptoms worse and when I did eat, I ate EVERYTHING IN SITE.

As far as research goes, there's little out there about women and intermittent fasting, let alone women with PCOS. What is out there is research showing that men and women respond differently to IF. Attached is a website I've followed off and on about primal eating.

Good luck.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/

briceand4
on 5/27/17 12:09 pm
Topic: Teenager with PCOS

Hello, my 16 year old daughter has been diagnosed with PCOS. This was not a surprise but I am wondering if wls is possible for her. She has gained 100lbs in the last 4 years, she has lost 2/3 of her hair and has to shave her face. Her testosterone levels are double what they should be. She now weighs over260 and is 5'8. I also have PCOS and have struggled with my weight all my life but am 210 at 5'7. I have type 2 diabetes and I know she will as well if we cannot get her weight down. Does anyone do this surgery for teenagers? Is it wise to have this surgery at this age? Thanks

novascotian8
on 4/24/17 11:36 am - Canada
Topic: Intermittent Fasting and PCOS - anyone have success?

As the thread title would suggest, I have PCOS (and stage III endometriosis) and am considering attempting an Intermittent Fasting form of eating... Not so much a diet, but rather building new habits on WHEN I eat. I'm just starting to read about it and I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has given it a go.

I searched this forum (PCOS) specifically but don't see any posts about it yet.

Thanks! :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/17 12:53 pm
Topic: RE: did alot of your PCOS symptoms go away once you lost weight?

How did your surgery go? Or has it happened yet?

RhondaJS
on 3/16/17 9:06 am
Topic: RE: did alot of your PCOS symptoms go away once you lost weight?

I remember my facial hair lessened (well, really all my hair on my head was falling out) and my acne was still bad. However, I recommend highly that you do not go off of your birth control pills unless you are trying to get pregnant. I've had heavy, erratic periods my whole life and wanted to see if my body was able to self regulate after 114 lb weight loss. Well, I immediately gained 20 lbs off the pills for a few months and was never able to lose it. I eventually gained all my weight back (yup, all 114 lbs) and I"m having a revision surgery next month.

Moral of the story- Stay on the pill.

Bria_2393
on 2/16/17 3:15 pm, edited 3/22/17 4:28 am
Topic: RE: Has anyone had any luck getting approved.

Hey everyone I just want to say that I finally got approved for surgery. I choose to do the WLS appeals, and they were completely amazing.

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP, keep fighting for what you need and don't give up hope!

rachel_lynn
on 2/10/17 10:20 am
Topic: RE: Gastric Bypass & PCOS - my story

This is the exact thing that I needed to hear! After finding out about 6 years ago that I had PCOS, it made all of my 'physical problems' crystal clear as to why they were happening. I had tried dieting, resorted to weight loss pills, and even went to the extreme of barely eating for days in order to lose weight - - - all for it to come back, and usually double in number. I'm happy to hear that once you had the surgery that it seemed to lessen the PCOS problems as well. I've been told (and researched) that once you have WLS it will put your diabetes into remission, but I was curious about the PCOS symptoms  - - things like the facial hair growth, will that become less of a problem as well once weight is lost?

Thank you so much for sharing this!!

Hiraeth
on 1/20/17 10:32 am
VSG on 08/04/16
Topic: RE: Today I join the Cysterhood!

I have it as well! My cysts come and go. Do you have excess hair grown? If so, Spironolactone is amazing at treating it. It's a diuretic that doesn't affect potassium, which is awesome. At first, I was skeptical because I thought there was no way a diuretic could help with excessive hair growth. But let me tell you, it really works. My excess lip and chin hair wasn't severe (it's blonde and light brown), but I noticed it, and that was enough for me to hate it. Just a few months of taking Spironolactone, I noticed the hair above my lip and on my chin was almost unnoticeable. :)

I'm glad your new GYN is helping you. Shame on your old one for neglecting a condition that is not hard to detect.

For me, PCOS is just ugh... Painful cramps, very irregular periods, ovulation pain, ovarian spasms, excess hair, and weight gain. But my WLS has helped me lose a lot of weight. :)

Radgirl1
on 12/30/16 12:44 am
Topic: RE: Gastric Bypass & PCOS - my story

Thank you for this post. Love your sassy vibe! I just stared my required 6 month medically supervised diet, so I am newer than a newbie.  Our stories are so much alike and you perfectly described why I decided to get wls and even my previous reservations about it. I got diagnosed with sleep apnea 2 months ago. It's a scary condition and also unpleasant treatment to have a hose attached to your face every night with air shooting up your nose. Congrats on avoiding it and worse! I wish I had started this process years ago.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1036 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2978 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3592 views