Anyone over 300lbs get pregnant?

tamiissunshine
on 3/16/09 8:41 pm - Halsey, OR
I was just curious as to hear stories both good and not so good about people who have gotten pregnant when they were over 300lbs. Also if other's got pregnant after WLS but still were over 300lbs.

Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Amy-from-CA
on 3/16/09 8:44 pm - Burbank, CA
I believe that there's been more than a handful of ladies who've found themselves pregnant and over 300 pounds. Some found out as early as a month after surgery, not leaving much time to lose at all. 
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

tamiissunshine
on 3/17/09 8:38 am - Halsey, OR
I got on the Nuva Ring so that I wouldn't get pregnant right away, but I don't like the way birth control makes me feel. I'm a little nervous to get off of the birth control as last time I did I got pregnant within 6 months and we were following the natural planning way.
Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

AngelaEsq
on 3/17/09 11:41 am - Toms River, NJ
RNY on 02/23/05 with
On March 17, 2009 at 8:38 AM Pacific Time, tamiissunshine wrote:
I got on the Nuva Ring so that I wouldn't get pregnant right away, but I don't like the way birth control makes me feel. I'm a little nervous to get off of the birth control as last time I did I got pregnant within 6 months and we were following the natural planning way.
FYI-The nuva ring is supposed to be ineffective for people over 200lbs.
tamiissunshine
on 3/17/09 7:25 pm - Halsey, OR
Are you serious?! Oh my gosh, they never told me that.

impulseisbeauty
on 3/18/09 5:49 am - Westminster, MD
Oh yeah. It is ineffective. I got pregnant at 330lbs. after RNY. I started out over 400. I was on yaz which I had problems absorbing and then the NuvaRing... lol... 2 months later... SUPRISE!

~Victoria
 Lilypie - (9X7j)Lilypie - (oanE)

tamiissunshine
on 3/18/09 11:48 am - Halsey, OR
Oh wow. That is good to know. I wouldn't mind having another baby, it's just that I'd like to lose more weight first since I just got my surgery. No one ever told me about the possibility that the effectiveness of the NuvaRing was decreased when you're overweight. They should really discuss this with their patients!

Shari M.
on 3/17/09 4:15 am - Wildomar, CA
RNY on 08/10/05 with
I had wls and lost about 135 pounds. I did fertility treatments and when I got pg with #1 I was 291 and 18 months post op. The pg was fine, but I did have gestational diabetes and Emma was 9lb10oz. My issues were after delivery I had such a big saggy panni that it got infected after the cesarian and I had a long hard recovery. I am now pg with number 2. I gained 70 pounds with Emma and lost 42 in 13 months, so I was 318 when I got pg this time. My blood sugars are already high. I have battled type 2 diabetes for a long time though so it doesn't surprise me. I am also insulin resistant with PCOS. Hope this helps. Good luck. Shari
Photobucket Photobucket  Micah 18 months, Emma 3

tamiissunshine
on 3/17/09 8:48 am - Halsey, OR
I got pregnant with my daughter when I was 325 after just losing 50lbs and like you I had a good pregnancy, I had pregnancy induced hypertension which caused them to induce me 3 weeks early but I felt really good throughout the pregnancy. I too had a C section and it got infected which was horrible. I got on birth control a month before my surgery and I'm debating on whether to stay on it or not. I really don't like the way it makes me feel, but last time I got off birth control is when I got pregnant within 6 months. I guess I'm just curious as to other's experiences.

Are you nervous about another C section? That's something that freaks me out now, is that I don't want to have another infection, it was such a bad experience.

Hoping2BDiabetesFre
e

on 3/19/09 9:02 pm - Oacoma, SD
I am hijacking this post:)  But, really, Shari, I was banded in July 2008 and I've lost 76lbs. so far.  I have PCOS, diabetes and had high bp. My question is this...our backgrounds sound very similar and I would love to ask you a few questions if you don't mind....regarding your infertility and wls.  My husband and I are trying to get preg.  We've never been able to before and I tried clomid about 10 years ago.  Now that Ive lost weight and Im taking Metformin, Im about to begin clomid again.  Did you also take clomid?  How about met?  Did this help with your PCOS? 

Thanks so much in advance!

Christina
Dev *.
on 3/17/09 7:47 am - Austin, TX
I had a friend who got pregnant at 300+ AND 42 years old. Other than struggling with carpal tunnel and shortness of breath, she had a healthy pregnancy and a normal vaginal delivery!

Banded 03/22/06 276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013 228/189/155 (surgery/current/goal) (72% EWL from highest weight!)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

tamiissunshine
on 3/17/09 8:50 am - Halsey, OR
Wow, that's awesome.

Tulasop
on 3/17/09 10:59 am, edited 3/17/09 10:59 am - Branford, CT
I got pregnant with my son at around 350. I had a very good pregnancy, except for gestational diabetes which I controlled with diet up until the last 2 weeks. My baby boy was (is!) healthy, and weighed in at 7 lbs 5 oz. Nice and average size! I only gained 15 lbs the whole preganancy. Of course, I didnt lose that weight till I had my WLS 9 months ago!

Edited to add - and I had a vaginal delivery!

tamiissunshine
on 3/17/09 7:24 pm - Halsey, OR
I had to have a C section. I was in labor for 18 hours and pushed for 2 1/2 hours in order to find out that the baby's head was too big to go under my pelvic bone.

Tulasop
on 3/18/09 4:52 am - Branford, CT
Wow - so much work!! I'm glad you have a healthy little one!

Zee Starrlite
on 3/17/09 12:19 pm
VSG on 06/06/11 with
I am sure that there are many people who have gotten pregnant over 300lbs.  It is an individual thing.  My body couldn't handle 260lbs or even 250 un-pregnant.  I had lots of  bachache, my knees were crunching and popping with each step, I was winded with the least bit of activity (like climbing up subways stairs), I was developing insulin resistance.  Overall, I was a mess and completely "unfit" to have a baby - I probably could have conceived BUT it would have been a miserable pregnancy and I wouldn't have been 100% for the baby and that is unfair.

Some people have no problem carrying alot of weight - they have no ailments especially if they are in their 20's & 30's, but it is only a matter of time.

My very best friend, Ophelia was 32 and morbidly obese.  She flatlined giving birth to her last son.  I was the last one to see her - she was so afraid.  She kept asking me what she should do (try vaginal birth or c-section).   Medical staff kept telling her she was a risk from the beginning.  She spent the final week in the hospital sleeping upright on a special bed - lots of difficulty breathing.  I combed her hair and rubbed her back (she said staff didn't want to touch her because she was so fat).  Our last words to each other were "I love you".  Ophelia was my weight loss buddy, we were on different diets together since we were young teenagers.  Timothy was removed via c-section as my very best friend had expired.  She is the reason I resolved my weight. I wish she had gotten the chance.

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

tamiissunshine
on 3/17/09 5:06 pm - Halsey, OR
Oh my gosh. That is so sad. I'm sorry you had to experience the loss of your friend. Thank you for sharing your story with me.

triciam
on 3/17/09 2:04 pm - riverside, CA
I was pregnant with both of my boys at over 300 lbs.. closer to 350 i believe..I had sever PCOS and had used clomnid to conceive my 1st and was successful.. had a totally fine pregnancy only gained 4 lbs the last 4 weeks of that pregnancy.,
Then lost some weight and conceived my 2nd son(6 years later)..this was all prior to my RNY.. That pregnancy was fine as well no complications all babies were c-section due to a 1st baby being breech.
Then after my rny..(I was 9 months post op,probably about 230 or so).. got pregnant with my daughter.. was super fertile after loosing weight... no problems with That pregnancy either..lost 17 in the beginning..then slowly re gained that 17 to be even steven when i delivered.

then  2.5 later....just had my son 3 weeks ago.. was about 180 when i got pregnant with him... I was on b/c pills lol.
hope this helps. feel free to ask me anything .
Tricia
tamiissunshine
on 3/17/09 5:09 pm - Halsey, OR
Did you feel better or differently during pregnancy after you had lost weight or was it close to the same? It sounds like you did well with not gaining much during pregnancy. I gained 45lbs when I was pregnant.

BethD
on 3/17/09 2:10 pm - Winder, GA

I was 270 when I got pregnant last time with fertility drugs had a great prepnancy and c-section with no complications!  I will say with this pregnancy starting out at 198 I have ALOT less back and joint pain though! But heavy women can have healthy pregnancies and deliveries! You will just need to find a doc who is not fat-phobic!!
Beth

Lilypie First Birthday tickers