Fluid Retention

thetexgal
on 5/8/09 12:06 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Ok, I don't know what happened but I found out I was pregnant and then poof 6 pounds of water weight. I can tell I am retaining water in my calves and ankles for 5 days now. I don't know what the deal is but my ankles actually hurt and they are much bigger. My fingers are not swollen. Do you know of anything I can do to try and help this? I know lemon is a natural diuretic so I thought about just having lemon in every glass of water I drink this weekend....any thoughts?

I don't even want to think how huge my cankles (yes not a typo) will be by the time I get to 9 months. I will just look like I have boats attacked to my calves.

Traci

CW
on 5/8/09 12:39 pm - Western, CO
Welcome to the joys of pregnancy.  We won't burden you with the sore boobs, hemorrhoids, peeing when you cough or sneeze, feeling like a watermelon is about to drop out of you know where, legs going numb because of the sciatica pain, leg cramps at night, peeing 20 times a night, and the list could go on and on...... :)  But it is all worth it!!!  LOL! 
Seriously, I didn't start retaining water until just recently but know that my salt intake really matters.  Also if I am riding in the car for too long or standing for a long time it makes my ankles swell up.
I have also heard that dandelion tea helps, and think I heard that it is ok during pregnancy but I would check with your dr before doing anything like that.

Lilypie - (D7uA)
mini goal, pre pregnancy weight!

thetexgal
on 5/9/09 12:18 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thanks! I just don't know why my retention already started. I will evaluate my sodium intake. I don't eat salt and don't eat a lot of foods high in sodium but I will relook at my diet.

Even my hubby said "Wow, your ankles are swollen". I mean it wasn't just a little discomfort it was like MAJOR! I hope it gets better!

Traci

BethD
on 5/8/09 12:44 pm - Winder, GA
Traci my swelling just started last week and luckily it was only the day that I sat in the car too long! ice tea is a diuretic and live on decaf tea with splenda, I have noticed  mine got alot better this past week when I cut out Diet coke, I LOVE DC and was drinking about one a day but then I noticed all the sodium and I had gained 10 lbs last month and I wanted to find out the cause!

Good news is in the beginning for me when it came on that fast it came back off...until now!!

And the cankles we are destined to have them!!

Hugs
Beth

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
thetexgal
on 5/9/09 12:19 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thanks Beth! I only drink decaf iced tea and water. So, I will continue to do that and pray it will come off eventually!

Traci

AshleyInTexas
on 5/8/09 1:18 pm - TX
Swelling happens to me pregnant or not if I consume too much sodium.  So, I have to watch my intake all the time anyway.

I hope it gets better!

Ash :)

RNY 8-6-2007 stats 5'3"  HW-240  SW-232  LW-127 GW-120  CW-135   
Plastics round #1 on 3-23-2011 BL/BA 575cc & 550cc Silicone under the muscle     
Married 9 yrs with 3 kids- Savannah 8, Skyler 2 & Bryder 1

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

thetexgal
on 5/9/09 12:19 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thanks!
Traci

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/09 9:54 pm - Hico, TX
RNY on 01/29/08 with
My last Doctors appt. i had gained 7 pounds in 4 days.  I am on my feet nonstop, i do stay home to run our ranch/business. We live on a ranch and things have to be done and my husband is out of town/state 2-3 days a week so i really have no choice in the matter. I drink 70 ounces of water a day and no Sodas/Carbonation at all. I was told by the Doctor that i need to take it easy and keep my feet up every chance i get, and well when hubby is home he gets to handle the ranch.  Rest every chance you get, increase your water, cut your salt. I have always used the lite Salt.

Good luck to you!
thetexgal
on 5/9/09 12:21 am - Fort Worth, TX
I don't salt any of my foods and try to watch sodium in foods. I guess just being on my feet and workinf (even though it is a desk job) being on my feet must be contributing. I will just up my water intake and hope it gets better.

Thanks!! You take it easy yourself girl!

Traci

Liz R.
on 5/9/09 3:05 am - Easton, PA
feeling like a water retaining buffalo myself here! I had to take off my socks they were uncomfortable! UGH! I keep telling myself it is good beacuse it means I am still pregnant! But geez we are 5 weeks and swollen!! lol I am like you little added salt/salt intake and LOTS of water and decaf unsweetened iced tea\.

Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views