Which Folic Acid?

Julia23
on 5/12/09 11:22 am - UT
I went to Wal Mart tonight to pick up some Folic Acid and there were 2 different ones. One was 800mg Metabolism Support and the other one was 400mg Heart Health. I tried asking Pharmasist but he was busy and I didn't want to wait any longer. So I just guessed since we need 800mg daily that I would buy the 800mg Metabolism Support. So is there really a difference? Which one do you take?
li2006
on 5/12/09 12:32 pm - Apple Valley, MN
I think for women of childbearing years, the recommended amount is 400mcg. When trying to become pregnant or while pregnant, I believe 800mcg - 1mg is usually recommended, and I think most of the prenatals probably have the 1mg. 1mg is available by prescription only, if i'm not mistaken.  I use Celebrate bariatric multivitamins and I take 2 daily and each has 400mcg, so  I am getting 800mcg.
HTH!

Lisa
Julia23
on 5/12/09 1:22 pm - UT
Lisa- thanks for the info. My sister works in a pharmacy and she was saying same thing about the prescribed prenatals having 1mg in them. I do have a scrip for prenatals but made me backed up. And they are chewables, flavor is not good.
Ksandra
on 5/13/09 1:46 am - Sumner, WA
I got mine from there too.  I wasn't sure but since my prenatal already had folic in it, I just grabbed one!  LOL!  But I knew with twins I needed more.  I just checked...I got the heart health ones.  I have no idea why! LOL!

Sandy
Mom to Holden (5 yrs), Kellen (2 yrs) and Clara and Chloe born 11/6/09

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1225 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 853 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1316 views