Constipated - please help me.

Kelly T.
on 5/13/09 1:16 am - Yucaipa, CA
This may be too much info so I apologize in advance but I need help.

I have not been able to go to the bathroom for two weeks.  I have to push really, really hard to get a couple of green balls out.  (SORRY!)  I've tried suppositories but I can only get a little out. 

I am taking the Spring Valley prenatal vitamins.  Before getting pregnant my iron was already elevated without taking any additional iron. 

Prune juice?  What works?????

Sorry if you are now sick to your stomach.....

floflo1981
on 5/13/09 1:45 am - Huntsville, AL
I totally understand your problem. When I have issues like that I use Fleet glycerin laxatives it is a bulb (containing liquid) and a tube you put up your butt and squeeze the liquid out. No lie you will move in less than 2-3 minutes...It helps so much and you will feel so much better!!!

HTH
~Flora

Lilypie - (zx1x)

Pre-op 284/Current 180/Goal 145  5'5
Surgery Date:April 23, 2007

Kelly T.
on 5/13/09 1:53 am - Yucaipa, CA
Sounds like tons of fun but at this point....It sounds terrific if it will work. 

floflo1981
on 5/13/09 2:05 am - Huntsville, AL
didn't mean to be so blunt but at one time I think I was obstructed (like could have needed surgery) and the laxative things were the only thinks that would work for me...after wards eat something (fiber one bars are great!) and I also got on a Fibersure regimen...3 teaspoons a night in a glass of water keeps it all flowing...

sorry again for just putting it out there...

Hope you get some relief quickly!
~Flora

Lilypie - (zx1x)

Pre-op 284/Current 180/Goal 145  5'5
Surgery Date:April 23, 2007

Kelly T.
on 5/13/09 2:56 am - Yucaipa, CA
Wait, just had a thought.  Since we're putting it all out there.... :)

You have to pop them in your butt so how many fingers do you have to have in there?  Uh, might have a problem with that....

Shauna S.
on 5/13/09 2:40 am - Amsterdam, NY
I agree - a fleet enema is the best way to go. I will warn you though if your stool is super hard and that's why you're pushing, the enema is going to hurt like a biotch, because it's pushing hard stool. I went through this last week and had to take some big time measures to get my stool out. But once it's out, the enema really makes it come out. Incorporate some extra fiber into your diet. I have 2 prunes with my breakfast, a Fiber One bar for a snack and have one Kellogg's All Bran Fiber Drink (that I found at Big Lots for $1.50 a box as opposed to the $4.99 in the grocery store) - it's like a Crystal Light singles packet.

Kelly T.
on 5/13/09 2:58 am - Yucaipa, CA
Thank you Shauna.  I've got to do something.  I'm stuck...

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/09 3:05 am - Hico, TX
RNY on 01/29/08 with
I have the same issues...going 8-9 days without any bowel movement at all. The suppositories and enemas do work , but be near a toilet fast!!   I use Benefiber in my Tea all day, Fiber one bars, Raisin Bran, Green Tea, Lost of beans,Spinach salad.

I have had some major problems with the constipation and my OB called in Peri-Colace to take 1 in the Am and 1 in the PM. You can also get this OTC at Walmart for like $3.00 a bottle. I also resorted to Choclate Ex-Lax a couple of times i was in so much pain and it finally worked for me.

Good Luck to you.
Pam Hart
on 5/13/09 3:07 am - Easton, PA
For me...without prenatal issues....dulcolax suppositories have been the only thing that worked.  However.....here are some other tips (and talk about TMI)

Get some surgical gloves and gently "dig" a little bit.  Go to the bathroom and push (just a little until some starts to poke out) and help it out.  It's called a manual disimpaction and on occassions we have to do it to people at work.  Have I done it to myself?  Yes.  Does it suck?  Yes.  However...when I get the really really hard stuff out...then I can put the suppository up further and that helps.

If you want to go more natural....you can make your own enema and just using an enema bag from the pharmacy store.  Use 3 parts milk and 1 part molasses and heat very very VERY gently until just barely warm (You don't want it cold...you don't want it warm...you want it "room temp" kine of like a bottle I guess)  It is a natural stimulant to the gastric track and actually, it's what we use in the enemas in the ER

Tip for both suppository and enema...hold it as long as you can.

Oh - and I have no luck with colace, only peri colace as far as by mouth is concerned...but that doesn't even work for me when I'm "to far gone" already.  I don't know if peri colace is safe in pregnancy, though....so double check on that.
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
impulseisbeauty
on 5/13/09 3:07 am - Westminster, MD
I would do an enema now to get it cleared and then look into a stool softener you can take regularly or fiber laxatives... run it by your DR of course, but I have walmart brand stool softeners which I pop about every 2-3 days to keep from having this happen.

Hemroids are a b*tch ... can't wait for labor, I'm not gonna be able to sit for weeks.

~Victoria
 Lilypie - (9X7j)Lilypie - (oanE)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views