Pain Meds that aren't NSAID's for RNY patients?

Christie N.
on 4/6/10 1:05 am - Riverton, UT
So in my post about having a baby, I mentioned that we tried Lortab 5 mg and it didn't do much for the pain, so we upped it to 7.5 mg.  My doc was hesitant about doing it, but did it and that was a mistake- no wonder he didn't want to do it!   I took two different doses and then got a horrible migrane (which I never have had) and had to lay down for it to go away.  It also zonked me out for like 2 straight hrs where I was sleepy and couldn't move out of my hospital bed.   Sooo frustrating!  So now I'm on just plain extra strength tylenol for pain, which doesn't do hardly anything for me.  So I'm just suffering with this dull headache, but no pain down there with my 3rd degree tear, which is amazing to me.

I had a spinal block for pain relief when I had my baby, since I didn't have enough time to get an epidural.  Got to the hospital at a 10 and they barely had time to give this spinal tap to me.  So we're not sure if this is left over from the spinal tap or just the narcotic headache cuz it was too much for me.   The anesthesiologist said that if it was a spinal headache, that most likely, laying down wouldn't take it away and I'd be in EXTREME pain and nothing would take it away.   But like I said, I layed down when I got it and it went away within 10 seconds.  I am fine recovering from all this childbirth stuff, just this headache crap is hard to deal with.

So if I can't take narcotics or NSAID's, what in the HELL am I supposed to take for pain?!!  I called my bariatric doc's office and they said unless I had knee surgery, I can't take NSAID's for a short amount of time at all.  Too much risk of an ulcer.   I am due to get a crown in June on my tooth and wonder if I'll need pain meds for that.  I might be able to do the smaller dose of Lortab for that but we'll see.  What in the hell do people like me take when I need pain relief, it's soooo frustrating!!!!   I've heard things like celebrex or other things out there work for people...

Thanks!

Hit goal weight of 140 at 13 months out from RNY!! 130 pounds GONE! 

DaNell H.
on 4/6/10 1:45 am, edited 4/6/10 1:46 am - Idaho Falls, ID
Right after I had my surgery, I had bad menstral cramps, and I told my surgeon that I had used ibuprofen in the past.  He prescribed Tramadol (Ultram) and it worked great.  It isn't an NSAID, but I don't know if it's an anti-inflammatory or what.  I just know it's awesome.  And you said no narcs, but if you can have them for awhile, percocet is what I used after my c-section, and it worked great.
Hope you get some relief soon!
DaNell

Just-Jenn
on 4/6/10 2:38 am - Midstate Region, PA

Okay- if you developed this headache after your spinal...it could be a spinal headache and pain medication probably will do very little.  Often if requires a spinal patch if the person can not tolerate it...believe me I had one for 10 days..I completely understand. Mine was relieved by me ignoring it...it was like someone was pounding on my head and eyes 24 / 7 ...but may I also suggest something ...CAFFEINE...large amounts help with spinal headaches...it finally is what kicked mine- once I figured it out.  Pain Management clinics (who give epidurals) often can tell you what type of things will help.  My mother worked at one...and she is the one that suggest lots of caffine for several days...I alternated my fluids so I didnt dehydrate. 
. Additionally, when I have pain I take vicodin or tylenol with codine.  NSAIDs make me have the worst stomach pain..OMG!  I also take something to protect my stomach when I take any pain medications...like prolesic (spelling).Good luck and congrats on that baby...

-Jenn-

Proud Mom to Allen (20), Christa (14), Sophie (2), Stella (1).  and an angel 5/07

Lexa321
on 4/6/10 3:08 am - weston, FL
why after knee surgery only? that makes no sence to me.. i hope you feel better soon
imnotknitting
on 4/6/10 3:17 am
I am really confused as to why you can't take NSAIDS (I am assuming you want to take advil?). My surgeon said that, as long as I only took it for a short period of time and it was always with food that it was no problem at all. Continuous use would be the issue.

Tina
Mommy to 2 of the most beauiful little girls in the whole universe and still in love with my hubby of 8 years. LIFE IS GOOD!
Tabetha A.
on 4/6/10 4:40 am - Ajax, Canada
 My surgeon told me that I'm allowed to take NSAIDS as long as it wasn't for an extended period of time (more than 2 weeks) and if I took it with an acid reducer (Prevacid/Zantac)... sometimes there are pains that Tylenol just can't fix.

I hope you find some relief soon.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bridget P.
on 4/6/10 5:44 am - Leechburg, PA
I don't know what your anesthesiologist was talking about... but I had a spinal headache with my first son and the only thing that took it away was to lay flat on my back.  When you lay on your back the opening to the epidural area closes over... when you stand up it allows for the spinal fluid to come out, which causes the intense pain.  I went into the hospital and had an epidural blood patch done.  The headache was gone within 2 mins. 

If the pain resumes when you stand up and feels like all the blood in your entire body is trying to escape through your head... I would put money on it being a spinal headache.  I would consult your doctor again.  Sorry you feel so bad.  Hope you get relief soon.

B

Lilypie - (CD61)     Lilypie - (CEud)

Bridget P.
on 4/6/10 5:50 am - Leechburg, PA
Here is an article to show that it does improve with laying down.  I really hope you get someone to help you get rid of it.  Pain relievers aren't going to touch it... NSAID, Narcotic... etc.  The blood patch will help within minutes.. they said it was the fastest cure in medicine.  LOL

http://headache.emedtv.com/spinal-headache/spinal-headache.h tml

HTH
B

Lilypie - (CD61)     Lilypie - (CEud)

Christie N.
on 4/6/10 7:24 am, edited 4/6/10 7:24 am - Riverton, UT
when I layed down when the headache came on, it took the headache away within 10 seconds and when I took some Lortab a few minutes later, it took the headache away.  When I'm laying down, I can still feel the headache a little bit.   I'm thinking it's probably the narcotics that I had, tension from going into labor and afterwards, and lack of sleep.  I really hoping I don't have to have a spinal blood patch and that's not what it is.

I'm going to give it another week and if it doesn't go away, I'm going to call my doctor. Right now, it's tolerable to deal with but after a week, I'm going to be really sick of it. I just don't do well with narcotics, percocet being one of them (after my last baby, didn't do well with it).   The headache is the only pain I'm having right now and if that went away, life would be really GOOD.

Hit goal weight of 140 at 13 months out from RNY!! 130 pounds GONE! 

XiomisMom
on 4/6/10 8:26 am
Congrats on baby Brady!
Since we both have the same surgeon, I have to say that I have taken the occasional dose of NSAIDS with little problem- Usually I do the kids liquid motrin, take a 4 tsp dose- Equivalent to an adult mg dose, and have had little problems. I cannot take anything like lortab, percocet, nothing (morphine included), and am scared that I may have to have a c-section with twins. Tylenol does nothing for me, so that is worthless. A heating pad was my only relief post-op, so I plan on taking one to the hospital. But, I think NSAIDs for a few days while you recover from childbirth is not asking too much- they exaggerate a bit I think. My Mom had RNY done and has taken NSAIDS off and on for over twelve years with no problems. Good luck though! 

Carrie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views