Dizzy spells and blacking out

mandajolyn
on 7/22/11 6:04 pm - Tallahassee, FL
It started yesterday morning about 3 am. I blacked out and have been having really bad dizzy spells, lightheadedness, blurry vision and blacked out again while in the grocery store, almost knocking over shelves then I had a really bad nose bleed!
I called my primary on call and a nurse called me back, after explaining what's been going on he tells me he thinks I'm having a miscarriage...huh? After telling him it was a nose bleed not vaginal and that I had an U/S done yesterday he was still certain I was miscarrying! He told my husband to take me to the ER. After blood work, and EKG everything was normal. They thought my electrolytes may have been off or something so they gave me fluids. Turns out I have a sinus infection and the Dr. Thinks that's throwing my equilibrium off. He assured me I wasn't miscarrying and that there wasn't anything that would lead him to think I was.
Has anyone experienced this during pregnancy?
I know it's not uncommon for BP to fluctuate and lightheaded and dizzy spells can happen. It was just really scary!
I didn't like how quickly the on call nurse was to jump to the extreme. Other than mild cramping from the pelvic exam and poking
and prodding yesterday I didn't have anything that would make me
think I was losing the baby. DH has been on edge all night wanting to make sure everything's ok.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

mumuvtwogrlz
on 7/22/11 11:22 pm - Oshawa, Canada
That Doc is crazy!
I never had dizzy spells of black outs with my first two pregnancies.
But my last one and this one I o!
Quite often. I know I have to up my Iron. I know its low.
It happends at the very least twice a day.
I have to keep a good diet I know that hlps out a bit.
I really do hate it lol Grrr!
Glad you're doing well with just a sinus infection! Hope it clears up soon!

Lilypie - (y7YD) Lilypie - (NAAZ)
   Tatum is 5 years old             Kendall is 7 years old
Born on April 30th 2006        Born on July 31st 2004

reianondillard
on 7/22/11 11:26 pm
I have never heard of a miscarriage doing that but when you start feeling that way you may want to take your sugar and if its that you may need to snack so it don't happen. My sister had GB and before we knew she was pregnant had these spill and would eat a peanut butter cup and within a few mins she was fine. I would not stree about what your PCP said. Praying fpor you!!

tamiissunshine
on 7/23/11 1:57 am - Halsey, OR
I got really dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out when I went shopping. I just sat down and ate something and tried to work through it. It is scary, but I don't think it has anything to do with you being at risk for miscarriage. That is stupid for them to say that to you. Don't they realize that's just going to worry you! Just keep snacks with you and when you feel the first sign of being lightheaded or dizzy, sit down and eat.
Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

shrinkingarmywife77
on 7/23/11 3:29 am - Lyman, SC
That dr doesn't have a clue...sorry you had to go through that...I blacked out a couple of times during my pregnancy and was dizzy too...it was my iron..it was too low...maybe get it checked out and see if that's what is causing it.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
mandajolyn
on 7/23/11 4:20 am - Tallahassee, FL
Thanks! It wasn't even a Dr. It was the on call nurse that was telling me this. Glad it's not uncommon. My ob is checking my iron levels and doing a complete blood work up I'm just waiting to hear back from them. The ER ran blood work checking for anemia and any other issues and said it was fine. I'm prone to anemia. The last episode I had just eaten a protein bar a few minutes before going into the store.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
pregnancy calendar

RESCUEGIRL78
on 7/23/11 11:56 am - NC

If you are still having those symptoms I would definetly check your sugar. I had issues with my sugar before I got pregnant but they got worse after I got pregnant and I still have problems with it. It can also be that your blood pressure is low as well and that will make you black out. I know that it's scary, I passed out and had a seizure at 7 weeks. Just keep a check on it!!! I hope you feel better!!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
mandajolyn
on 7/23/11 12:16 pm - Tallahassee, FL
When they checked at the hospital my bp was normal but it could've dropped during the episodes. I'm thinking about getting a monitor to check my sugars. I know my body is doing all kind of work so those things can fluctuate.
Thanks!
pregnancy calendar

SHANNYN B.
on 7/23/11 11:40 pm
I felt that way when my bp was low and my blood sugar got low. ate more often and kept hershey kisses with me and would suck on one every hour to keep sugars up and it helped some. plus lots more water!
Damayin 12-3-93
Jarrid 10-12-98
Hayvann 11-22-09
Kerstyn 4-2-11
Kinzy 4-2-11

XiomisMom
on 7/24/11 2:18 am
I had this with blood sugar- too low. Sometimes I would have it as a reaction to something I ate, other times it was dehydration. I almost blacked out on the freeway once- freaky! Luckily I was able to pull over. You;ll have to watch how you're eating and what you're eating. Try to get a good balance of carbs vs. proteins vs. sugars. Good luck!

Carrie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 855 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views