Constipation....what works for you? Help!

mandajolyn
on 9/7/11 1:47 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I'm beyond frustrated and am having a hard time( no pun intended) finding something that works!
It's getting bad and I don't know what to do to keep things moving! I take stool softeners every day, Miralax 3-4 times a week, lots of water and still have issues! Even in as little as 2 days if I don't go it becomes a problem!
I got some glycerin suppositories hoping they will help.
I've tried drinking some apple juice hoping it'll help things because normally when I drink or eat a bit more sugar I'm in the bathroom within minutes! I don't want to make myself dump because that's a miserable experience but I'm desperate!! I had some issues before but nothing like this since getting pregnant! Any ideas?
Someone mentioned the possibility of a partial bowel obstruction but wouldn't that be present before if it were there? I had a ct scan not long before finding out I'm pregnant because of mysterious gut pain and it was clear. I'm out of answers!
Help please!!
Thanks!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

Violet S.
on 9/7/11 2:04 pm - NY
 I was going to suggest glycerin suppositories... they usually work for me.
I've also been totally backed up this pregnancy...it makes you feel so bloated and gross! :( 
Also, maybe try miralax once a day instead of just a few times a week. 
Good luck & happy crapping ;)

-V
mandajolyn
on 9/7/11 2:27 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Thanks! I'll start using Miralax every day! I wonder...I usually add it to my water or sf drink in my 20 oz cup and the bottle says 6-8 oz, will adding it to more liquid dilute it and make it less effective?
Hoping the suppositories works! You're right it makes you feel bloated and gross and it's making me not want to eat anything
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
pregnancy calendar

AmusedOne
on 9/7/11 9:38 pm - York, PA
I have found that consistently taking the stool softeners works best - and Phillips Brand.  The generic did NOTHING for me... I take them early evening one day and then first thing in the morning the next...  I go every 2 days - not optimal, but taking them every morning resulted in HORRID pain and needing the suppositories to go...

This is one pregnancy symptom no one warned me about... Nor the carpal tunnel issues I am having!
Angie
Paula622
on 9/8/11 12:18 am
I eat a lot of fruit,drink watered down juice, and try to get in whole grains when I can.  I go at least once a day.  Hope you find something that works!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

imnotknitting
on 9/8/11 1:57 am

This has been the biggest pain in the butt (literally) for me for both my pregnancies. I ended up in the ER for my last pregnancy because the pain was just so bad! The ER doctor was WAY more helpful than my regular OB. He got me on a regimen that worked pretty good last time and so far is working OK this time too. He wanted met to take stool softeners one day and then sennicott the next day. Senna hurt my stomach so much so that didn't work. Then he said use milk of magnesia as needed and he was very specific about this, to use Dulcolax suppositores. he said the other brands just don't work as well and I have to say I probably use them once a week now when I start feeling really bound up. At least we know it will be over at some point, but this is the worst thing about being pregnant IMHO. I actually love being pregnant otherwise (0:

Good Luck!

Tina

Mommy to 2 of the most beauiful little girls in the whole universe and still in love with my hubby of 8 years. LIFE IS GOOD!
mandajolyn
on 9/8/11 2:03 am - Tallahassee, FL
Are the dulcolax suppositories ok to use while pregnant? I called the pharmacist last night and he didn't speak english well so I couldn't get a clear, understandable answer!
Hopefully I can find a combination that works, this is frustrating and painful!
pregnancy calendar

imnotknitting
on 9/8/11 4:25 am
Yes! He was an OB doctor and it was his very first suggestion. He said they are what they recommend for all pregnant people in this situation.
Mommy to 2 of the most beauiful little girls in the whole universe and still in love with my hubby of 8 years. LIFE IS GOOD!
Jennifer H.
on 9/8/11 2:50 am - stockton, CA
Paula said above water down juice.I dump so when I get to bad i use sugar or juice it cleans me out!

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

XiomisMom
on 9/10/11 11:51 am
Oddly enough the only time I don't have problems with constipation is when I'm pregnant! And the first day of A.F. I get really bad diarrhea! I'm trying to figure this out too though- in amore general sense. How do you tolerate lactose? If I drink plain milk I almost always get diarrhea from that- not sure how you tolerate milk after surgery. Also, something like Slimfast/ensure also cleans me out. Not fun, but may help you get to a point where you are on top of it. Good luck!!

Carrie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1224 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 852 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1315 views