Just dxd with PCOS

bluek
on 4/25/12 10:18 pm - Austin, TX

Hi all. I was just diagnosed with PCOS. I'm surprised - I guess we didn't know before because i was always on birth control and not trying to get pregnant. now that i am off the pill and having irregular cycles, it's more obvious. i had blood work and an ultrasound done.  the reproductive endo says i will need to do clomid in order to ovulate.

i really thought losing weight and being in the "normal" BMI range would help my fertility, so I'm pretty bummed. Can PCOS go away if I lose more? I've been eating great and exercising 4-5 days a week. 

Sara S.
on 4/25/12 10:43 pm
It "may" get better. However I know that mine did not get better! Infact it was a little worse... Clomid also did not work for me. I had to use Femara. I have a daughter and due with a little boy in 5 weeks.

You may want to look into a book called "taking charge of my fertility" its extremely helpful.

Did they say anything about putting you on metforim?
  Sara

Mom to Haleigh born 04/14/10 and Dylan 05/15/12
Sarah V.
on 4/26/12 5:05 am
Saying you will absolutely not be able to concieve without Clomid is a ridiculous statement.  I have had PCOS since age 15.  I take Metformin but did not use any fertility drugs at all and concieved twice in 8 months.  My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage (which IS more likely with PCOS) but my second pregnancy was perfect.  I have a two year old to prove it!  We don't plan on having any more but if we wanted to I'm quite sure we could without fertility drugs.

Lap Band September 2007 / Slip discovered March 2014 after significant regain / Revised to VSG April 29, 2014

bluek
on 4/26/12 5:26 am - Austin, TX

She didn't say I absolutely 100% need clomid to conceive, but since my cycles are so irregular I'm having a hard time tracking ovulation. I think she is turning to clomid to make it easier, especially since I am 33 and do not want to wait too long.

I do not have insulin resistance, so she said she felt metformin wasn't indicated.

thanks for your responses! 

Nikki M.
on 4/26/12 12:05 pm
There's a really great resource for PCOS ladies: www.soulcysters.net. Lots of very intellegent women with PCOS and there is an entire board about TTC. If your cycles are really irregular than clomid seems to make sense to me. I was like you and didn't want to wait around for my body to do its thing. My little miracle is the product of injectable meds and IUI.
Good luck! Its very possible to get and stay pregnant with PCOS, and knowledge is power!

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views