Afraid of the glucose test!

Brandi F.
on 5/31/14 10:37 pm - Kissimmee, FL

Hi all, I am 11 weeks pregnant and doing well; I'm also 5 years post-gastric bypass.  At my last appointment (around 9 weeks) the doctor said that having had a gastric bypass makes me predisposed to gestational diabetes and she wanted me to take a glucose tolerance test now (instead of around 24 weeks when pretty much all moms are tested).  The test involves drinking a solution with about 50 grams of glucose in 5 minutes and then having your blood tested an hour later.  I am really freaked out by this.  I mean, a half cup of ice cream can send me to bed for an hour, let alone chugging 50 grams of glucose!  Surely there is another way to test me.  It seems to me borderline unsafe to ask a gastric bypass patient to try this test.  Also, have any of you heard that gastric bypass predisposes you to gestational diabetes?  I can't find any information on it.

L2D
on 6/2/14 12:33 am - Canada

Hi, I would maybe get another opinion. I am 4 years post op and when I was pregnant with my baby 2 years ago my Dr said I shouldn't take the glucose test as it would make me sick. Instead, she sent me to a diabetes clinic at the hospital to learn how to test my own blood. I sat in a group of about 5 or 6 "regular" pregnant women who actually had gestational diabetes. They were learning how to eat properly to keep it under control. Most of the meeting didn't really apply to me since I didn't actually have G.D...but the part where I learned to test my blood as well as know what blood levels were acceptable was helpful. From about 24 weeks I tested my blood 3 times a day and recorded it. I reported it back to my Dr and after about a month of normal readings I only had to randomly check my blood weekly for the remainder of my pregnancy. I am now 7 weeks pregnant again with post op baby # 2 and plan to follow the same suit this time around. Hope this info helps.

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/14 7:58 pm

There are many options besides the 50g glucola drink. Some OBs are more accepting of alternate testing methods than others. Some include fasting glucose and then cking it 2hrs after breakfast, A1C lab result, ect. Talk to you OB, hopefully you can come up with an alternative.

I am 3ys PO RNY and will be doing the horrid glucola drink in 2weeks. My situation is a tad different so I have to test by this means. Hopefully it isn't tooooo bad. Will update in 2 weeks after its done.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views