Breastfeeding??

cudagirl15
on 10/27/14 6:03 am

I'm currently breastfeeding my three week old and concerned he isn't getting enough from me. Did anyone else experience this? He is gaining weight but having gas and never seems satisfied. Any advice? 

civilmomma
on 10/29/14 7:12 am
VSG on 03/07/14

If baby is making nice wet diapers (not too yellow for the pee) and is having normal consistency (wet and mustard-like) poops - not hard lumps - you are probably just fine.

Things to do:

first - go to a lactation consultant and do a weighed feeding...you'll get an idea of how much baby is getting.  they can check your latch too. 

second - know that there is a 3 week growth spurt and baby nursing more and more is helping build your supply up.

third - if you want to do it...you could pump and bottle feed.  It could be hard to go from breast to bottle to breast...but if you are really worried about baby's consumption - that is a way to see exactly what baby is eating.  (my 1st had a hard time getting milk, so I ended up only pumping for her...it is a lot of extra work)

if this phase doesn't pass on its own, talk to the pediatrician about colic/reflux/gas treatment options.

both my kids cluster-fed in the evenings...on the boob all evening long with little break between nursing sessions.  totally normal yet frustrating for mom.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

cdnov26
on 11/3/14 8:42 am - MA

I'm currently breastfeeding my 5 week old and know I don't make enough. I go to a lactation group and when I do a weighed feeding she is only getting about an ounce. They said I may not be taking in enough calories.

Paula622
on 11/28/14 1:08 am

This is a pretty old tread, but just wanted to add some support.  I've breastfed three babies, two post op and one pre op.  All three have been slow gainers but were otherwise happy and healthy.  I joke that I just make skim milk.  They always seemed satisfied at each feeding and I just let them eat whenever they wanted.  Sometimes it was 40 minutes after their last feeding, sometimes it was 4 hours.  I just really followed their lead and didn't stress over trying to schedule feedings.  I think that was huge for keeping us all sane.  Just try to trust your body and your instincts! 

Gatorade in the evening really helped boost my supply!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views