Pregnancy 7 months post-op VSG

shopaholic2014
on 11/19/14 2:21 am

I'm looking for insight- I've searched the topic but can't find exactly what I'm looking for... I had a VSG on 3/17/14 and have lost 60lbs. I just found out on Saturday that I'm 5 wks pregnant. I'm excited, but also worried. I've lost weight slower than a lot of others on here anyway, and now I'm pregnant and scared of gaining the weight back. I know some weight gain is to be expected and I will continue to exercise, but does anyone one have experience with this? Will the weight loss continue after the pregnancy? I already feel like I can eat more at one time. This is not psychological. I ate a whole cup (8oz) of cottage cheese this morning at breakfast. Three weeks ago, I couldn't have done that. I am so worried because this surgery my my last resort to get to and maintain a healthy weight...

civilmomma
on 11/20/14 6:12 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I got pregnant at 5.5m post op.  I am now 18 weeks along.  I have lost 20 pounds while pregnant...eating about 1500 cal a day now too.  I think my weight has bottomed out...I haven't lost anything in the past few weeks.  My surgeon and OB both say gaining 15-20 is fine.

My personal goal is to deliver no higher than I was the day I got pregnant.

Pregnant at 249 - currently 229 - hoping to deliver under 250.

I lost about 100 pounds before getting pregnant.  My surgeon and OB are more concerned with my vitamin blood work than my weight.  Now is not the time to obsess over the weight loss.  eat healthy foods when you are hungry.  Get your protein in...my plan says 75g a day for pregnants.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Paula622
on 11/28/14 12:57 am

I'm not on here much these days but wanted to share my experience with you.  I had VSG a little over 4 years ago.  About 6 months out, my weight was stabilizing (I was close to goal), my labs were great, and I had no problems with fluid or protein goals.  We were really anxious to add to our family (had a 2 year old at the time) so we decided to go off birth control and just see what happened.  About a minute later I was pregnant, lol.  I had a really easy pregnancy and neither my surgeon nor my ob had any sleeve related concerns.  I gained 18 lbs during that pregnancy and I definitely wasn't being super careful about not giving in to cravings.  I lost the 18 lbs by the time the baby was 2 weeks old and then lost another 10 over the next several months.  I was at goal and maintaining pretty easily.  When we decided to try for #3 I had two early miscarriages and my hormones and weight were a bit crazy.  I was bouncing up and down a few pounds higher than my comfort zone when I got pregnant with my third.  This pregnancy I gained 30 lbs.  Lost 20 right away and have been hanging on to 5-10 ever since.  I haven't tried too hard to lose it, with three little ones it is hard to get motivated.  Plus with breastfeeding (baby is 8 months old) it is hard to cut back much without having an impact on my supply.  I'm hoping to have a fourth baby sooner than later, so I'm kind of feeling like I'd rather just lose it once I'm totally done with kids rather than bouncing up and down all the time (probably a ****ty mindset, but oh well). 

Moral of the story, your sleeve will still be there when you're ready to use it.  Congratulations!  Take care of you and that baby and you will have plenty of opportunity to worry about weight after.  I just would try not to go too crazy with weight gain during pregnancy, but don't stress over every pound either.  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Zee Starrlite
on 11/29/14 8:27 am

Don't eat 8oz of cottage cheese just because you can - that's 2 servings anyway.  You know the saying "just because you can does not mean you should"!  You will certainly stretch out your sleeve and not lose after delivery then long for restriction which you can't get back.

Be wise, you were so early out.  Grow a healthy baby by eating good nutritious foods NOT overeating.  Don't stuff your sleeve instead have several mini meals and snacks so that you will still have a tight sleeve after the baby that you can use to continue your wl journey.

Congratulations and Good luck with everything.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views