Pregnant at 39 after VSG. Diet questions regarding the proper nutrition - Help!

XTRASMILE
on 11/19/14 2:17 am

So here I am at age 39...I will be 40 in April 2015. I had the sleeve done on 4/24/13 and didn't think of becoming pregnant at all due to my age plus I am already blessed with two beautiful  boys. I wasn't trying to become pregnant, but to be honest didn't think I was ovulating anymore so I slacked off a bit 2 months ago when it came to following the cycle and safety days. Well to my surprise I missed my period, did a home pregnancy test and voila it said I was pregnant!

My main concern now of course is if I will be able to provide the proper nutrition to my baby while pregnant? I am almost 2 years post op and can only consume between 600-700 calories a day. I still keep track on my fitness pal. I've had my regular checkups and blood work done to make sure I am ok on all my vitamin levels and I am good in that department, but would like to get feedback from others who became pregnant after the sleeve. What was your daily menu like, how much protein, calories, fat, etc. did you consume? Did you have any complications due to your sleeve?

I am anxious to hear from your experience. Thanks! :)

I'm 5'4"...post op I weighed 256 lbs and today I am 123 lbs.

civilmomma
on 11/20/14 6:08 am
VSG on 03/07/14

You are 2 years out and still at 600 cal a day - WOW!!!

I suggest you go see a nutritionist NOW and get your vitamin blood work checked.

I am 8m out now and 18w along - so far everything is fine.  I am able to eat 1500cal a day now...3 meals plus snacks.  Mostly on-plan, but I have added some carbs and eat a lot of dairy products for protein and get carbs from that too.

My WL clinic recommended 75g Protein a day...but didn't give specific calorie goals.  My OB wants me as close to 2000 cal a day as I can tolerate with healthy foods. 

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

XTRASMILE
on 11/23/14 11:43 am

Thankfully I've been on it with my vitamins as well as my lab work and the only thing I'm deficient on is my iron. I'm taking iron pills. I know my calorie count is low but the doctor said I'm healthy. My only concern now is being pregnant because for obvious reasons I need to be able to eat more.

Soxyloxy
on 11/23/14 7:43 am - TX

I am 40.  3 years post op today and scheduled for birth Dec 1.  All I wanted was sugar the first 4 months. I get most of my protein from plants and beans. My ob and wls we're not concerned at all, had my labs checked in the beginning and all was good.  I was eating 1000 calories a day before. Now I just eat what I want. To scary to measure as since becoming pregnant something changed and I could eat much much more and often, all day. That has slowed drastically in the last few weeks as there is no space left in my body to breathe. I will tell you it has been awesome being thin and pregnant. I look pregnant. All the women say your so small, and I love it. 

XTRASMILE
on 11/23/14 11:33 am

Congratulations! I just wish I was able to eat much. In the morning I can barely finish two large eggs for breakfast. I'll just keep trying to eat every 2 hours so that I get the proper nutrition needed for the day. Problem is that I also get nauseous everytime I eat. I just hope things get better the further along I am. On another note, I'm excited to actually be a healthy pregnant woman. Unlike before where people couldn't tell I was pregnant because I was overweight. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views