Anyone have trouble conceiving after weight loss surgery but not before?

joconnor0922
on 12/10/15 4:11 pm

Hello- I had the sleeve 1.5 years ago and was wondering if anyone experienced difficulty getting pregnant after the surgery when they had no trouble before it? Everything I read is about how people have the surgery to help get pregnant or that you are super fertile after the surgery and I'm not finding this to be the case at all. I have 4 kids and conceived all of them easily (1-2 months)- never had to chart or plan anything. Now that I 've had the surgery, I'm having difficulty. After the surgery, I went on birth control per my doctor for 1 year and I've been off of it since July. We were casually TTC July, August, September. October and November, we were actively TTC, using a fertility monitor, etc and nothing. I'm wondering if losing all the weight could have thrown my hormones off or if being on birth control (I haven't used birth control since college) could have thrown things off? Would love any insight you guys might have. Thanks

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/14/15 1:26 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Hormones might be a problem early on-- rapid weight loss can overload your system with estrogen, which can make things funky.

Birth control shouldn't have any affect on future fertility; if anything, it may help.

I've read that you should only be worried if you're not pregnant after a year of active TTC (if you're under 35), but it may help to check with your OBGYN if you're concerned.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/16 5:57 pm

All I can say is I'm totally fertile-myrtle I get pregnant (  all the time )at least ( confirmed by doctors)  twice since surgery five years ago .  Carrying is a problem ... the hormones the depression the overwhelming fear of being abandoned left alone ....

I madly love  my fiancé but he is totally inappropriate for me ... I just cant carry our children to term because I'm worried so much about finances infidelity . 

How do you all do it ?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/6/16 7:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you're getting pregnant but not able-- physically or emotionally-- to carry a child, you may want to look into long-term birth control options. An IUD is a good choice, or your gyno may have other suggestions.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1213 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views