Breastfeeding - Low Supply Issues

Owlyce
on 5/13/16 6:40 am - Wilder, KY

Has anyone here successfully overcome low supply issue's with breastfeeding?  I struggled with my toddler and continue even though I never stopped with my 4 month old.  We've been supplementing, but he is my last and I'm determined to get him off even the little bit of formula if possible.  My milk itself is fine, I get hindmilk etc.. just not much of it when I pump.  I've tried all the usual things, fenugreek, lactation cookies, tons of water, gatorade, etc.... 

I haven't tried Reglan, the potential side effect scare me a bit.  But if anyone here has used it successfully, I'd like to hear your story too.

I also don't think I had any supply issues with my two older kids, the first I BF'ed till about a year, but we did supplement because my mom wouldn't touch my BM and she watched her.  My second had poor latch issues and had to wean at 3 months.  But they were pre-surgery.  My younger two are obviously several years post op.

Thanks!

Kate M.
on 5/16/16 7:05 am
RNY on 08/08/14

I wanted to reply, because I feel this forum is severely under-active, but I want you to know you're not alone in your worry. 

I'm 17 weeks with my first and worry about this constantly, especially considering I have lost almost 20 pounds since becoming pregnant and can't get food in/down. Please let me know if you find a solution, and if you try and Reglan! 

Owlyce
on 5/16/16 10:23 am - Wilder, KY

Most people seem to be fine with their supply, but you do have to eat, a lot.  It's hard.  We even had his lip and tongue ties lasered, thinking that would fix it. But I was already back to work, so I can't say that it really helped a lot.  His latch has improved, but my supply hasn't really changed as far as pumping.  I'm tempted to try the reglan, but I do have a history of anxiety, which is why I'm nervous about trying it.  If I do I'll update here. 

Also I did lose weight early on, but eventually gained enough, though not a whole lot, during these two pregnancies.  Hopefully your nausea will quiet down soon.  

GAHP
on 10/1/16 5:47 pm

Hey! If it helps you feel any better, when I got pregnant with my son I had been dieting and exercise to lose weight (which I was actually succeeding at) and I continued to lose weight for the first 2 months of pregnancy and I hadn't had any king of WLS! But then it stopped and I started to gain some weight. i gained like 35 lbs or so (could have been a little less since I was overweight) but it was still a decent amount. I am only in this forum readingthis stuff cause I know I want to have at least one more child after my WLS so I am learning as much as I can about what to expect. I hope you have a great and healthy pregnancy :)!!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/17/16 2:05 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I had serious supply issues with my son, who's now 6 months old; we had to supplement with formula the day after we left the hospital. I'm on meds for bipolar so that may be part of the issue, and my OB suspects I may be one of the 10 - 20% of women who just can't make enough. Surgery had nothing to do with it.

What kind of pump are you using? I had zero luck with a manual pump, but at least got a little with a double-electric.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Owlyce
on 5/18/16 6:32 pm - Wilder, KY

Pump is good,  last one was  a Hygeia and this time a Spectra S2, both good hospital grade closed systems.  Though in tempted to try a manual as some do better with them. 

jennywest224
on 5/20/16 12:15 pm

I have been struggling with supply issues and wasn't producing more than one oz per session unless I started a lactation tea healthy nursing tea. It helped me a lot.

mynameisprl321
on 6/28/16 10:01 pm

It's better to get a BF instruction from your doctor. Pump will help you, I guess. Concentrate on you diet. 

GAHP
on 10/1/16 5:50 pm

That Mother's Milk tea is the best thing ever. I didn't have any issued with my son (no WLS then) but I took some just in case, and one night I kindda brewed some lactation tea instead of the chamomile I meant to brew, and the engorgement and leaking that night were UNREAL. I ended up walking towards the sink and trying to get rid of some cause I couldn't even sleep, it was so painful. lol So give it a try if you haven't!

KrissyKooKoo
on 10/25/16 10:31 pm
RNY on 07/22/19

I am bf and I too have issues with a low supply. I do think mine boils down to not drinking enough, because days when I do really well with the water intake (and I mean WAY more water than I am used to) I don't have supply issues. I also used fenugreek and blessed thistle, as well as mothers milk.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1213 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 845 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1307 views