Trying to have baby after 3 years post RNY (Diabetic)

arcydejavu
on 9/4/16 8:43 pm - Murrieta, CA
RNY on 12/10/12

Hi,

I am currently trying to conceive but I am wondering if anyone has gotten pregnant post op and is a diabetic. I am 44 years old and I want to have a baby. I don't have any kids but would love to have a baby. I just want to know the risks involved if anyone can give me any information on what they have experience post op. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Arcy

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/6/16 8:32 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Hi Arcy!

Lots of women end up dealing with diabetes during pregnancy, since you can have it while pregnant even if you've never had blood sugar problems before. Most OB's are really familiar with it, though you may want to find an OB who handles "high risk" pregnancies and will likely have more experience.

If your blood sugar isn't under control, there's a higher risk of birth defects-- especially in the first trimester when all of the organs are forming. Uncontrolled blood sugar can also lead to a very large baby, which can make it very hard to have a vaginal delivery! So your doctor will definitely want to keep a close eye on things.

The good news is that you are able to take insulin during pregnancy with no problem. It doesn't cross the placenta, and it's not going to affect the baby. Your doses will probably be different than before, since your body is busy growing a tiny human and all, but I imagine you can just keep testing your sugars and adjusting the amount you take.

Have you had a pre-conception checkup with your OBGYN? He or she can help you figure out if there's anything you need to do in addition to checking your sugars.

So excited for you!! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

arcydejavu
on 9/6/16 6:25 pm - Murrieta, CA
RNY on 12/10/12

Thank you so much for all the information Julie. I really appreciate it. I will be going to the gynecologist on September 14. I will definitely ask about all the risks involve and what I can do to prevent any complications. God bless.

Arcy

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/7/16 4:24 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

From what I've heard from other moms, as long as you control your sugars (food/exercise and insulin as needed) you can be just fine. Hope you get good news from the gyno, I'd love to hear an update! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views