4 1/2 yrs post op 4mo postpartum -issues

bhanlin90
on 8/29/17 9:08 pm

I will be 5 yrs post RNY December 3rd and have a 4 mo old as of 8/22. I seem to be struggling with the weight creeping up no matter what I try. I really have no feeling of satiety and can eat like a "normal" person. I am also dealing with postpartum depression and how my body has changed since having my daughter and clothes just not fitting the same (hormones ALL OVER the place). I feel like I am pre-op all over again and slowly losing control. I am open to suggestions on which direction to head. I am terrified to become the person I once was... please help!!!

***my surgeons office isn't open anymore and I don't have an office close to me so I would be traveling several hours to find one*

Thank you,

-Bri

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/5/17 3:30 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Congrats on your baby!

I've found myself in a similar spot, I can eat a LOT more than I could pre-op. There are a couple of reasons for this:

• Straying from the post-op, protein-forward diet-- we can eat a LOT more carbs than we can meat!
  • Pouch/sleeve fully matured, naturally larger capacity than the early post-surgery days

Are you seeing someone for your PPD? I think that's going to be the first step. Getting your mental health under control makes a HUGE difference. I have bipolar and had a lot of trouble with my depression and some OCD when my son was tiny, and when I felt like crap I wasn't at all motivated to get my eating under control.

The first step is to start logging all of your food, including snacks, nibbles, and the like. Be honest, and see where you're at, even if you're eating total crap. (And let's face it, when you have a tiny human and you're hardly sleeping, it happens!)

Once you know where you're at, you can start working towards better eating habits. At several years post-op, a good goal would be 1000 calories, 60 - 80g protein, and under 40g carbs. (If you're breastfeeding, you'll probably need to add a few more calories; that's a question for your OBGYN.)

I'm almost 2 years out from my pregnancy and I'm STILL working on getting the bad habits that crept in during pregnancy and my son's early days under control. Feel free to PM if you ever want to chat!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Katiebear291
on 3/17/18 10:20 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

Hi Bri!

I am also 5 years post op and 9 months pregnant.

I dealt with PPD with my 1st child (pre-op) and am also struggling with diet (pregnancy feels like it should be a free pass).

I know that for myself it is all connected to my mental health - all the eating habits, weight gain, motivation, depression etc.

Find yourself a councilor, someone who may have some experience with PPD. All new moms worry about weight loss so I don;t think it is as important to find someone who has WLS experience. You know the rules you;re supposed to follow as well as I do but when we get sad and depressed we just don't have the desire to follow those rules because food can be so comforting.

Hope you find someone to talk to - I find that is always the biggest help.

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views