BC and surgery

Funmum2016
on 11/27/17 11:46 pm

Ok so im trying to get my ducks in the same area and I have a question. Im waiting for the referal to go through from my family doctor to start the process of WLS. Im planning on having another child after I have the surgery, but am I also right and that I saw somewhere in my research that I need to stop my current BC before surgery?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/29/17 12:07 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You ABSOLUTELY must stay on BC after having surgery. Fertility goes waaaaaay up with weight loss, and it's very important-- for both you and a potential baby-- that you don't get pregnant until at least a year after having surgery. Some doctors insist that you use two forms of BC if you're not 100% consistent with your main type.

I had a Mirena IUD placed several years before having surgery and my surgeon recommends his patients get something like an IUD or implant because of their success rates. I had it removed a year after surgery and got pregnant right away, and had another one placed after I gave birth.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Funmum2016
on 11/30/17 8:43 pm

Ok well im currently on the patch and have been since having my daughter in July of 2016. So noted to stay on it, but i stillswear I read somewhere that for the time that im actually going in for surgery that i dont have the birth control....maybe I miss read. Thanks for your advice!

fromfattohealthy
on 12/8/17 7:39 am - Canada

I think this only applies to taking birth control orally - due to malabsorption.

I briefly switched from pill to patch (but it said not effective if you are over 198lbs, so I switched to IUD - now I am using the patch because I am 175 and hated my IUD)

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1231 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 855 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1317 views