Wanting to learn from you

-Katie
on 6/11/08 2:00 pm - CA
Hi , I am learning about the process. I saw my D today and he wasnts me to think about a band. I am 489 now and just lost 22lbs. I would love to hear fom you. Why did you choose the Realize band over the Lap band??? I heard you lose much slower weight than the Gastric bypass have you noticed that in yourself? Also was wondering do you have the dumpping? I wish you all the best! -Katie
Vampyrvet
on 6/11/08 2:17 pm
Hi Katie, I am 1 week post-op from the Realize Band. I chose the band over the bypass because the idea of eliminating 2/3 of my digestive tract scared the crap out of me. I have osteoporosis in my family, and the bypass reduces your ability to absorb vitamins/minerals. You are basically giving yourself a life sentence of dependence on special vitamins & supplements to keep from developing a serious deficiency. I like the adjustability and reversability of the band. According to the studies presented at my pre-op seminar, the amount of weight loss is equivalent over a 3-year period between band & bypass, it's just that the bypass patients lose faster at first. Keep in mind that the rapid weight loss also causes other problems such as hair loss, loose skin, etc. Your body goes into emergency starvation mode. I "only" have about 50 or 60 pounds to lose, so I did not want anything as drastic as the bypass. However, your situation may be different. If you have type II diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, reflux, or other related issues, then the bypass may be a better choice for you. If your health is in immediate danger, then the bypass may give you the rapid results that you need. I opted for a more natural & gradual approach. Definitely take your surgeon's advice. Either way, you HAVE TO commit to the dietary & lifestyle changes or you are wasting your time and money. Just make sure you are choosing a well-qualified and experienced surgeon. You don't want to be the one that he/she is learning on. Good luck, Natalie
Banded 6/08, Slipped 9/08
Revised Band 9/08, Slipped Again 2/09
Sleeved 3/09, Hoping the 3rd time's the charm!
swojo
on 6/11/08 10:15 pm - NY
The Realize band IS a LapBand-it is just a different style of Band-newer ad with less issues. And yes you do lose slower than with the bypass, but for me that was ok since I put it on slowly too and I'm hoping my skin will adjust and I won't as much in the way of plastics. No dumping, since there is no malabsorption. Keep doing your research and ask the doc why he suggests it. Also check out the Duodenal Switch, the Fobi Pouch and Vertical Sleeve, etc etc.
It is not only important to love- it is important to say so.
Tom C.
on 6/25/08 1:20 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Katie,  I sent you a personal message. I didn't want to clog this post with my reasons. Please let me know if you didn't receive it. Good luck on your journey !! Tom
Most Active