Have to choose between a Realize and a Lap Band - please help

NewHere37
on 6/25/08 5:34 am - CO
Hi -  I just got back from my pre-op appt with my surgeon and he says he offers both the Lap and Realize bands and that I should choose.  Did anyone else have this choice? Why did you choose Realize? I like a lot about the Realize band, but have a couple of questions: 1) Do you feel that you can get adequate restriction with the low-pressure band? 2) Do you feel like you have a different experience with "sticking" food compared to friends with the Lap band?  These are my primary concerns. I wonder if the low pressure band helps food not get stuck, or if it is less painfull. Any help would be appreciated - Surgery is on Friday, so not a lot of time to make a decision! Thanks, Deb
anuchance
on 6/25/08 5:48 am
Deb, we're in a very similar situation.  I currently have the lap band & am scheduled for re-surgery next Wed. due to band slippage (I have one of the older bands, not the new & improved ones).  I just posted a thread on this very thing.  Any replies would be greatly appreciated... not a lot of time.

dancing girl      

Banded!!N-63.gif5-30-07 Revision 7/2/08

250/178 /165
                   My son Chance  He's my reason 4 everything!

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't 
                               change it, change your attitude. Don't complain.  

~Maya Angelou

Tom C.
on 6/26/08 1:37 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I will send you a personal message. Let me know if you don't get it.
beachbag
on 6/27/08 12:52 pm - TX
HI! I too, am in this position!  I had my band removed Memorial day weekend due to a bad slippage.  I want to replace it...my doc now offers Realize.  i don't know anything about it...I did read it may be prone to "bending"  I don't even know what that means...please feel free to reply or PM me...I would love to hear from any of you about this topic.   BTW I had my previous band for 11 months and LOVED it!  I lost 90+ lbs.  But have gain several lbs back in the month it has been out!!!

50poundseal.gif picture by LaraNicole Banded from 06-28-07  - 05 - 24- 08  Lost 90+ lbs
                            Scheduled for sleeve 08-06-08

Jean D.
on 6/30/08 10:15 am
Jean D.
on 6/30/08 10:14 am
sandra37
on 7/3/08 6:31 am - athens, AL
hey deb, how are you doing today. better i hope. are you able to eat more now. what happens if you get sick? can you throw up after this surgery? how could all that food come back up through that small opening from your lower stomach? can you swallow pills?
jenwa
on 7/3/08 7:46 am - canton, MI
Swallowing pills would be the same no matter which band you had. Realize band you are less hungery (big advantage for patients) and the my success web support is the best. also less change of band slippage I read and you can not have a port flip. Hope that helps
Jean D.
on 7/3/08 8:22 am
sandra37
on 7/3/08 8:28 am - athens, AL
hello jenwa, how long have you been banded? have you had any serious problems. do you have any regrets? do you still have problems with gas and does the port stick out and bother you. please email me again when you have time. sandra
Most Active