port pain

IndigoIndulger
on 7/3/08 5:16 am - Keystone Peninsula, OK
I've seen a couple of posts about port pain.  I'm wondering.  Is this normal for all types of lap bands?   Or do you think it's being caused because of the special Realize band "grippers". I am HFS (hoping for surgery) December 2008. The surgeon I picked is switching from Lap brand band to Realize band because Realize has less chance for slippage (still researching what slippage is). So I'm wondering if I can expect port pain and what kind of pain medication can be taken to alleviate it. I'm such a pain baby. Beryl
jenwa
on 7/3/08 8:06 am - canton, MI
beryl, I never had this pain I would talk to your doctor
(deactivated member)
on 7/4/08 12:29 am
I just got the Realize Band on June 10th and my port was the only thing that really was sore.  It is the largest incision so I was not surprised it was the one that bothered me the most.  From what I have read, it looks like this pain can happen with any band.   The pain has not been unbearable at all.  It is just an annoying tugging.  I think it could depend on your port placement as well.  Mine is right below my left breast.  I am actually pretty thin up top so my PA said I am feeling it more than normal.   I was able to sleep on my side within the first week.  I took pain medicine at the beginning to stay ahead of the discomfort.     
Jean D.
on 7/4/08 7:31 am
(deactivated member)
on 7/4/08 10:22 pm
On July 4, 2008 at 2:31 PM Pacific Time, Rangerfan wrote:
That is where myy port is too- I am one week post -op and it is still sticking up high like a goose egg - this is very disturbing to me - if it weren't for that you would not be able to tell I had the surgery or at least won't once the scars fade - did yours go down?
Mine is still sticking out a little bit. I am wondering if it will go down as swelling decreases or if it is there for good.
Jean D.
on 7/6/08 10:23 am
brnsugar91
on 7/4/08 3:02 pm
Beryl, I got the Realize Band on May 27, 2008 and have not experienced any port pain per se. I have experienced a slight discomfort if my pants sit the wrong way on my waist though. This has subsided as each week goes by. My port is below my left breast as well. It was sticking up at first but has gone down.

prical02
on 7/5/08 11:15 am - Elm City, NC
Hi! I received the Realize band on June 10th and the only real pain I had was at the port site.  It mostly hurt first thing in the morning and when getting up from a sitting/lying position.  It was like a sharp, pulling pain at the port location.  It took about 9 or 10 days for it to get to the point where I didn't notice it in the mornings so much.  Now at almost 4 weeks out, it doesn't hurt at all.  They gave me a prescription for liquid loratab for the pain, but I only used it at night to help me sleep and for my back (I hurt my back the morning before surgery).  I didn't have any pain meds while I was in the hospital.  It was definitely tolerable pain.  Good luck with the whole process and keep us posted. Amanda

Highest/Pre-op/Current/Goal
260/247/221.5/147
Carolen
on 7/9/08 9:00 am - Cincinnati, OH

Hello,

I was banded in April 2008.  I wanted to bring up one point of pain regarding the port that no one has mentioned.  My port caused slight bruising of the muscles around it when it was first installed.  The reason for this is that the muscles would hit and strain against the port every time I stretched, or sat slouched.  After a week or so, the pain eased and then went away completely.  I wanted to note this pain as few have really experienced this.  It actually has helped my posture, so no complaints here.

Carolen

sunshineangel_1977
on 7/10/08 2:38 pm - sabina, OH
I remember going in for my 1 week post op visit and complaining about the port pain....that was the only pain i had....it wasn't unbearable( i did have a few episodes that were though) however i couldn't lay down for a few weeks because it felt as if I were sagornie weaver and an alien was gonna come jumping out of my abdomen any minute if i tried to lay on my back or sides!!!....then it would throb.......i walk using my core muscles due to a hip fusion....guess what the port was laying up against......my main muscle i walk from....ugh....i lived on pain meds at night but tolorated it through the day!  it took it about a month to completely go away.  Now i don't notice it at all

love hate relationship Eating Disorder      

Most Active