P:ort Site

verypeaceful
on 7/26/08 4:03 am
Hello All,
I was banded on 7-18.  All is going well.  I am still on liquids, but doing fine.  My question is about my port site.  Is it normal to a noticable lump at the site?  Will this always be there?  How long does it take for the port to fully "seat" itself?  Any and all port info would be greatly appreciated! 
Thanks,
Denise
Jennyo35
on 7/28/08 8:11 pm
I found that right after surgery there was a lump under my skin at the port site, but it did go away.  It was a little irritating with certain pants on becuase they would rub on the area.

I cannot feel it through my skin at all now and wouldn't even know that it was there.  I think it is just scar tissue from it being so new?

I had my first fill last week and it went super easy. My doc had no problem finding the port and it was truly painless.

Jen

Jean D.
on 8/18/08 6:52 am
 But doesn't scar tissue stay there - it isn't something that goes away - fluid and swelling may go away but scar tissue might make it worse - I have an ugly goose egg that I hate sticking up.
Jean D.
on 8/4/08 10:29 am
 I am 38 days post-op.  My port site sticks up like a goose egg.  It has gone down quite a bit since the surgery but when I am standing in front of a mirror I can see a pretty large "round" area sticking up right below my incision on my left side.  It is noticeable under my shirts.  I have been very down about it, having written about it until I have driven everyone crazy.  Some people ask me why it is so important - isn't losing weight more important than having a port sticking up - well, no it isn't to me.  I was told I would not be able to see it or feel it - as much as I love the band and the weight loss if I had known it would look like this I would not have had the surgery.  I wore a swimsuit last weekend on my vacation and it looked like I had a tumor underneath it. The irony is that one of the main reasons I picked the Realize band is that the port is flatter than the lap band port - the lap band port is bigger.  Sort of like the difference between a stack of quarters or a stack of half dollars.  I can actually feel the round corners of the band underneath my skin so I know it hasn't flipped.  I have my 6 weeks check-up next week and my first fill - if my doctor won't  give me encouragement about it going down I will do whatever I need to - change doctors, whatever it takes to get the port moved down lower in my body so it doesn't show.  I think it is embarrassing and it grosses me out and probably grosses my husband out too but he is too nice to say that.
hart21664
on 8/8/08 11:18 pm - secretary, MD
I am 7 days post op and mine does not stick out , i can feel it but you can not see it. Be patient and ask the Dr when you go everyone is different. I am sure the Dr will take care of it. I think you will be fine BEST OF LUCK
whiterabt
on 8/11/08 6:05 am
My upper body is smaller than my lower body,. and my stomach is a bit "flatter" than most women at my weight.  Now with the port, there is a pooch that wasn't there before.  I'm hoping this is just swelling or scar tissue that will go away in time.

It's not really noticeable except to myself.

I'm 23 days out from surgery and did a 1500 stair climb yesterday without annoying the port area at all.  In that sense, it seats itself quickly.  Apparently though, over time as you lose weight, the port will shift as your musculature changes.  I've read as much as 4"!

Best,
-e
Jean D.
on 8/18/08 6:51 am
 I have the same problem with my port - it is very distressing - my husband and I have a large private heavily treed yard and we jog in the pool every day for exercise - we do not have to wear swimsuits because no one can see us - I am very self-conscious about this goose egg sticking up - I asked my doctor's PA the other day when I went in for my first fill (I am 7 weeks post-op) and she said some people choose to have the port moved to another spot but that is another incision to get faded out and healed.  My husband and I agree that this port has to get better - the PA also said she thought it was still a little swollen and she could feel some fluid still there.  To me it just feels like the port is right under my skin and I can feel the edges of it - if the scar wasn't so red and right above it it would help a lot but with that scar there it  makes the lump underneath so noticeable - it is grossing me (and probably my husband too) out.  I was told it would not be seen or felt - I do not have a lot of loose skin around my middle to hide it - I have a large mid-section but it is fat that is underneath my muscle so maybe the doctor did the best he could but if it could be pushed down even an inch or so it would make a huge difference.  Do you mean the port could move down 4 " as the weight comes off?
Jean D.
on 8/18/08 6:54 am
 Let me know if you find anything out about this - I have posted and posted to get an answer and still don't feel confident that my goose egg will ever go down - it is very embarrassing because it sticks up underneath my shirts and I am afraid people will think I have something hidden under my shirt - it looks awful.
Bratty_Nicole
on 8/22/08 1:19 pm - Aurora, CO
Most of the time it is a build up of liquid called a seroma.  I have heard of this happening a lot after surgery, especially on or near the port area.  It isn't serious (unless it is red, sore, and you have a fever of 101 or above).  Some surgeons drain it with a needle, while others just leave it to be absorbed by your body.  It should go away, but it can take 3-6 months for your body to actually absorb it.

On www.wikipedia.com a seroma is defined as a pocket of clear serous fluid that sometimes develops in the body after surgery.  Symptoms are a bulging of a surgical site and fluid-like movement under site on touch/compression.  

Only  your doctor can truely diagnose it as such, so if you are concerned I say to mention it next time you see him/her.

Good luck to you all!
~Nicole  

I joined the Realize Band - 10/2/2008 

My blog:
www.nickleinapickle.blogspot.com
Most Active