Realize vs LapBand

MoniqueW
on 7/30/08 8:14 am
I just completed step three of this journey and my surgeon asked which band I want; Realize or LapBand? I chose the Realize because of the port anchor, but other than that I don't know the difference. Is there a difference and if so what is the difference between the two bands?

-Mo 
speighd
on 7/30/08 10:04 am - NC
Realize comes in one size, lapband two.
Labband has a harder band with "pillows" along the inside that inflate, Realize is basically a flexable tube that the entire band inflates.
The Lapband they inflate some to start, Realize they don't (sort of like a rubber band to start with a little pressure).
Realize is wider (less slipage).
Also it looks like the post-op recovery diet is shorted.
And lastly the Lapband was developed in Belgium, Realize in Sweden.
At least that is what it looks like from the reasearch I have done on the internet.
Me, I am choosing the Realize band.
JackieBeth
on 7/30/08 11:51 pm - Easton, MD
Thank you so much for your concise information.  That's the best explanation I've read.  I'm doing the Realize Band too.

Jackie

Titanium Blonde
on 7/31/08 8:13 am
If you are going to give advice, do more research, a lot of your facts are incorrect;  I'm not flaming you, but there is a lot of misinformation in  your post.  I think each band has its pros and cons.

Crystal_girlost
on 7/31/08 9:17 am - WV
What facts are incorrect? Everything listed there is information I have found also. Although the recovery time is subjective to each person, it is said to be shorter. I am not saying the Realize Band is better than the Lap Band, just that those things are true (or being passed as true by experts.)

First fill 11/4/08 3cc's  Second fill 12/19/08 2cc's
Third appt 1/27/09 rescheduled
Third fill 3/24/09 1 cc= Total 6cc's

Jean D.
on 8/4/08 10:11 am
 The doctor my husband goes to was the first doctor in Dallas to use the Realize Band and he only uses it now - has totally stopped using the Lap Band.  The Realize Band has almost non-existent port flippage same for slippage is wider, has its own "barbs" that clamp the port down on the muscle so no stitches needed.  It is softer and more flexible than the lap band which is made of hard plastic.
DrC
on 8/6/08 10:34 am - Cincinnati, OH
On August 4, 2008 at 5:11 PM Pacific Time, Rangerfan wrote:
 The doctor my husband goes to was the first doctor in Dallas to use the Realize Band and he only uses it now - has totally stopped using the Lap Band.  The Realize Band has almost non-existent port flippage same for slippage is wider, has its own "barbs" that clamp the port down on the muscle so no stitches needed.  It is softer and more flexible than the lap band which is made of hard plastic.
I'd like to chime in here...I have done about 1400 Lap Bands and 200 Realize bands so I think I have a pretty good feel for them both.

1.  The Realize band does have port flips.  The anchoring device is cool, but not foolproof by any means.

2.  No study has shown a statistically lower slip rate with the Realize band vs. Lap Band.  They are exactly the same.

3.  The Lap Band is absolutely not made of hard plastic.  It is made of soft silicone, exactly the same stuff that the Realize band is made of.  And it is designed so that the stomach only comes into contact with the pillows around the band, not the band itself.

I don't think there is a "superior" band.  A patient's success has much more to do with what he or she does with his or her band than which band they get.

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
Jean D.
on 8/6/08 10:44 am
 Thanks for the info - I think I understood that there was less chance of port flips with the Realize Band because of its unique anchoring system but maybe that was not the case.  I was told that Realize had more erosion issues than the Lap Band - the reason I said the Lap Band was made out of hard plastic was that was how it appeared to me when I felt both of them at my appointment when I was expected to choose between them.  I felt both of them and thought the Realize Band looked better because of the flexible nature of the band itself and the width - the main reason though was that the port was smaller or not as thick so I thought it would not show as much - I was  very wrong - my port sticks up after 5 weeks and I am very disappointed about that - thanks so much for your response.  It is amazing how much false information there is on the forum.  In fact, my doctor said sometimes it is better not to post on the forum because it could make things worse if there is information that is false.  Thanks again.  
Michael Eak
on 7/31/08 2:11 am - Largo, FL
I am choosing the Realize Banding for a few reasons beyond the three year membership on the Johnson&Johnson web link for support & progression of yourself, etc.  but there's a metal tubing covered by the saline tube on the uunderside of the port that if the Doctor filling you, misses the port (and it does happen) that they can't ***** the tubing causing a leak. The other is that the post it's self has anchoring staples in it. And when placed against your outter body, it attaches it's self. Thus very less chance of the port becoming loose and flipping.
Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
speighd
on 7/31/08 9:59 am - NC
I went to many web sites for the information.
There is not a lot of difference between them.
The Lapband could be considered an asset or a liability.

Most Active