Question & Answers about obtaining Life Insurance after WLS

Vicki Browning
on 8/20/08 5:52 am - IN
I have had many people question me about not being able to obtain Life Insurance after WLS, whether it be Lapband, RNY, VSG or DS.    I met with an Insurance broker to get answers to some of your questions to me.   I questioned why is it so hard to underwrite a policy for WLS patient.  Answer:  They can and will write policies for Life insurance through an underwriter but you have to be 5 years out from the Surgery and goal.  Now for regular medical insurance if you have a policy now that you pay yourself as indidvual coverage not through a employer or your self employed.   You may be paying a higher rate because when policy was taken out during your obesity,  after 18 month of being at goal a underwriter will re-rate you and can most likely lower your monthly premium.

I spent several hours today in this one on one meeting with this insurance broker and she went over several things with me and I have touched on the most asked questions.   If you have any others just PM me and will try and answer anything she and I may have touched on.

Vicki
wildheart63
on 8/20/08 6:04 am - IL
HEY VICKI,
THIS IS ABOUT THE ANTHEM BCBS POLICY I ASKED ABOUT ....A FEW WEEKS AGO ANYWAY I WAS APPROVED ON THE FIRST TRY MONDAY 8/18/08.....THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!
LORI
Vicki Browning
on 8/20/08 9:54 am - IN
Great approved for the surgery? 
wildheart63
on 8/21/08 12:28 am - IL
yes surgery!!!!
i just wanted top say thanks for you input whe i asked if anyone was banded with anthem bcbs
lori
1lucy1
on 8/24/08 10:29 am - Van Voorhis, PA
VICKI I am new to the site. lap band has just been recommended by my pcp, but i just found out health assurance has a exclusion for any bariatric surgery. would it do any good to appeal?
Vicki Browning
on 8/24/08 10:48 am - IN

You need to find out if your policy is a self-insured policy through the employer or fully insured.  if its fully insured you will probably would not be able to appeal it however you can contact obesitylaw.com lawyers to see if they can assist if not able to appeal

1lucy1
on 9/15/08 9:00 am - Van Voorhis, PA
Spoke with my H.R. at work. She called our Insurance company and spoke with the rep. The rep stated they do not sell the rider for weight loss surgery to any company that has less than 250 employed. So my company was not able to purchase the rider for weight loss surgery. It seems as if they discriminate based on the number of employees you have. Is it worth an appeal?
Vicki Browning
on 9/15/08 9:25 am - IN
Lucy sorry to say but appealing will probably be a waste of time.   It is hard when smaller companies have to obtain insurance because they dont cater to the smaller companies with employees but if there is no state mandate they can get by with it
1lucy1
on 9/15/08 9:27 am - Van Voorhis, PA
thanks for your help
Most Active