Swollen around port

SamOH
on 2/3/10 2:31 pm
 Hi fellow banders!

I know this has been said before but I couldn't seem to find it....

Well, I've had my first fill about 2 weeks ago.  I've had a few episodes of getting "stuck" and some heartburn, but never any throwing up.

My question is that on the outside of my stomach, I feel like I can see a little swollen area/circle of skin right where my port is located underneath.   Has anyone ever had this before?? Does it go away?? What does it mean?

Thanks as always for all your help!! 
Randy Z.
on 2/4/10 6:36 am - Charlotte, NC
My port was swollen for about 2 months and actually still hurts some times. I started taking anti-inflamatories for the pain which also helped with the swelling. I have found recently, that if it is hurting, it is because I am sleeping on that side and putting alot of pressure on it.  Also my port is slightly skewed, but the doctor and nurse have looked at it on 3 occasions and say everthing is as it should be.  Of everyone that I know, my port has been swollen longer than most. I sleep on my side and now put a small pillow there that has really helped.

I would only be concerned if there was redness or any other signs of infection in that area. But it also sounds like your doctor has at least seen it already.  It also sounds too like you may have some swelling around the band. Or you may not be chewing enough. My health coach says to chew the food to applesauce consistancy.  Then be aware of it as you swallow.  Just yesterday, I ate way to fast and had to stop eating for about 5 minutes. Hate it when I forget the rules.  lol. FYI, I am at 3 months and 2 weeks and have still only had one fill.
HW 288 --  4/1/09 at 277.8 --  SW 268.8
Realize band 10/19/09

Gloria S.
on 2/5/10 6:28 am - Lexington, MA
On February 3, 2010 at 10:31 PM Pacific Time, SamOH wrote:
 Hi fellow banders!

I know this has been said before but I couldn't seem to find it....

Well, I've had my first fill about 2 weeks ago.  I've had a few episodes of getting "stuck" and some heartburn, but never any throwing up.

My question is that on the outside of my stomach, I feel like I can see a little swollen area/circle of skin right where my port is located underneath.   Has anyone ever had this before?? Does it go away?? What does it mean?

Thanks as always for all your help!! 
I'm in my fourth year since getting my band (obviously Lapband based on when I had my surgery, but the devices are similar enough). When did you have surgery? It's always a good idea to let your doctor know if you have redness, or swelling in the area by your port.  That's one of the things doctors like to be aware of so they can monitor.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Banded 8/16/2006; Dr. Billy, Ventura, CA; maintaining since 12/2007

For more lap band inspiration and information visit
www.bandedliving.com

Confused about whether or not surgery is for you, read my book "Is Lap Band Surgery for Me?, available on amazon
Most Active