No flour Chocolate Cake

lilacs
on 10/16/09 6:20 am - Marysville, WA

This is one of the best chocolate cakes I've ever made - and I make a LOT of them!

You'd never guess it has no flour and is made with black beans - absolutely scrumptious...

>>> Flourless Chocolate Cake

Linda
Total lost: 200 - RNY Feb 2004 - Dr David Lauter, Bellevue WA

my recipes...(a lot of them I created for use on BariatricEating.com and now you can find them on my own blog)  :  click>>>  Eating Well...Living Thin  

Johanna !
on 10/19/09 11:16 am - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
I am making this now.  I did not have whey low (what are the carbs on that?) and just had a little bit of maltitol so I ended up using 1/3 c maltitol, 1/3 c diabetisweet, and 1/3 c xylitol (I ran it through my magic bullet after I measured it) to make up the sweeteners. I also used 1 tbsp of water with a heaping 1/4 tsp of instant coffee -no real stuff in the house!  I also had trouble pureeing the beans in my blender so I ended up adding the eggs to that just so the machine would mix it.  It is in the oven and I will post my results!!  That batter was tasty!
Johanna - like Joe-on-uh, or that movie, Juwanna Man!  

lilacs
on 10/19/09 12:29 pm, edited 10/19/09 12:32 pm - Marysville, WA

Well...that sounds interesting!!  

I think it will be fine, diabetisweet is good stuff, and I think it bakes like maltitol and whey low.

The beans are hard to do in the blender - I have a hand held wand and that worked great - adding the 2 tablespoons of liquid (coffee and vanilla) helped a lot.

The Whey Low is low on the glycemic index - they process it in a way that causes it to not be absorbed.   I prefer to use only Splenda, but for superior baked goods (cakes, muffins, cookies, quick breads) I will use the Whey Low.

This is the info off of their website.  (Splenda, Maltitol and Xylitol have a little over 1/2 a gram per teaspoon from what I can find in researching it)

Because of their low glycemic index, Whey Low® Granular, Whey Low® Granular Packets, Whey Low® Gold, Whey Low® Powder, Whey Low® for Ice Cream, and Whey Low® Maple are all ideal for low-carb dieters. The available carbohydrate count or impact carbohydrates for Whey Low® in combination with dietary carbohydrates is only 1 gram of carbohydrates per 1 teaspoon serving. The carbohydrate count for table sugar is 4 grams per teaspoon.

Linda

my recipes...(a lot of them I created for use on BariatricEating.com and now you can find them on my own blog)  :  click>>>  Eating Well...Living Thin  

Lynne R.
on 10/20/09 4:49 am - Houston, TX
Could you use Splenda instead?

Lynne

lilacs
on 10/20/09 4:58 am - Marysville, WA

You can...it may take awhile for it to get really fluffy, as Splenda doesn't cream with the fat or eggs as well as the other sugar subs.

The trick for this cake is to whip the eggs, butter and sugar sub until it's very thick and light - that will give the 'texture and crumb' that the flour would.

I hope you love it, regardless of what you use!

Linda

bajahahamama
on 10/20/09 1:06 pm - CA

I made it with the sunsweet crystals.  It turned out good.  I don't think I whipped the egggs and "sugar" enough... I'll do it more next time, but it is quite tasty.  I want a piece tonight, but am still full from dinner....  Guess I'll take it to work tomorrow! and freeze the rest!

Off to sip my tea and get this dinner moving!

lilacs
on 10/20/09 1:13 pm, edited 10/20/09 1:15 pm - Marysville, WA

YAY!

Yes...whipping the eggs and sugar sub is a must...makes it more fluffy.  Yours is probably a great 'brownie' texture, though - and that's never a bad thing!!
 Linda

tinamarie_125
on 10/21/09 3:58 am
Your recipes are the bomb! I have made several things and they are all wonderful...like gourmet food. I will try this recipe too! Cant wait!
Johanna !
on 10/21/09 6:07 am - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
Well I made it as I stated above and it came out very good.  Even though I whipped the eggs in the blender with my beans and then beat that with the butter i had a cake texture and crumb. My almost 3 yr old liked it too!  I just put an order for whey low in today - 2 sampler packs!  So i will be getting 20 lbs of sugar to play with!

I am really excited about this whey low because I really miss the flavor of sugar that all the artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols have been unable to duplicate. 
Johanna - like Joe-on-uh, or that movie, Juwanna Man!  

lilacs
on 10/21/09 6:30 am - Marysville, WA

YAY!!  I'm so glad you liked it!

Yes, I hear ya on the sugar subs.  Splenda is fabulous in 'wet' recipes - but for baking you just NEED the feel and taste of sugar.  You won't be disappointed!  

I can't wait to hear what you've made after you play!! 
 Linda

Most Active