greek yogurt as... whipped cream??

paranoidmother21
on 11/2/10 11:29 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Ok, huge question for all you fabulous cooks out there.

I know you can substitute greek yogurt for sour cream, but, if you add splenda or something similar, can you substitute it for a whipped topping?  (DD's MIL can't tolerate ANY cool whip type topping, and I'm trying to avoid real whipped cream, so looking for a compromise substitute).

Any thoughts would be welcome as I figure out what to do with holiday foods!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

jlmartin
on 11/3/10 12:32 am - Random Lake, WI
Yogurt could be used as a whipped topping but it would not be light and airy.

Yogurt also does not contain enough fat (30%+) to "whip"  You can, however, add gelatin to the yogurt and the gelatin will provide the necesary structure to hold the air.

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/10 3:56 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
You could flavour it with some SF syrups but it would still be very heavy like sour cream.
bev-h.
on 11/3/10 7:31 am, edited 11/3/10 7:31 am
Sure!    But the texture will be thicker and heavier than what we assoc. for a whipped topping.

Another idea which I know works -- I have a recipie somewhere in my box at home, I'll see if I can dig it out and get it to you.     But I used to make a marangue with whipped egg whites or powdered egg whites and use spenda and some kind of flavored syrup.  This will give you the light foamy texture we associate with whipped toppings minus the fats... but also adds a bit of protein too!      My mom does this but then folds in a ff/ sf  pudding to give it more of a "mousse" texture.
You can get the powdered egg whites in many baking sections of the grocery store and sometimes even Hobby Lobby carries it in the cake decorating section as it's used in some frosting recipies to give a "hardening" option to frosting.
paranoidmother21
on 11/6/10 12:55 pm - Lake Zurich, IL
Thanks all! I love her dearly, but I MUST take the wind out of SIL's sails at Thanksgiving!

Bev, I look forward to hearing from you about the meringue - that sounds like my best bet!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Lee1898
on 11/9/10 8:02 pm - Weston, FL
If you line a strainer with a coffee filter and place plain Greek yogurt in it overnight (place in bowl in fridge and cover with wrap or foil) the next day discard liquid in bowl - you will end up with a thick cream cheese like consistency. Its called yogurt cheese. From there you can add anything you'd like, sugar vanilla etc. I have used it as frosting by adding sweetness.. My kids dont realize at all ! Or as sour cream when not adding anything. Or it can be used as a base for dips. Some times i make another container and blend it with herbs to eat with crackers. I also like to eat a scoop of it with half a banana and some ground flax seed in the morning. It's become a staple food in my fridge !

No Pre-op diet .. 5'5" Start weight:  230.5 lbs                

Most Active