Bold Bourbon Barbecue sauce and marinade

SFLAirMedic
on 12/6/14 1:54 am, edited 12/6/14 1:57 am

Ok. My stance is to eat healthy without sacrificing flavor. This recipe is for a bold barbecue sauce that is preservative and chemical free, but big on flavor. All of my ingredients come from the natural un-messed with spectrum in their simplest form, which your body knows how to manage and metabolize, unlike high fructose corn syrup that doesn't exist in nature but does exist in anything that used to have unprocessed sugar in it. So here goes...

You'll need a good sauce pan...4 quarts or better.

Ingredients:

• 1 jar molasses
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • 4 large tomatoes-pureed
  • 4-6 cups Bourbon (I prefer Jim Beam's honey bourbon, but any good quality bourbon will do just fine )
  • 2 cups peeled garlic or 1 cup minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup onion powder (not onion salt)
  • 2 cups raw brown sugar (optional)
  • 1/4 cup each basil, oregano, thyme
  • 5 tbsp black pepper
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup smoked paprika
  • 5 tbsp cinnamon (saigon cinnamon is my choice)
  • 1-2 tbsp cayenne pepper 

Heat sauce pan on medium and add pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, molasses, brown sugar, and bourbon. Stir together and bring to a soft boil then immediately down to a simmer. Add spices and garlic and cook on low stirring very often for 30 minutes. If too spicy or sweet, add more cinnamon a tbsp at a time. It'll also add a bit of a smokey flavor too. After 30 minutes the alcohol should be completely cooked out and the bourbon flavor remains. The honey bourbon adds a sweetness that makes the brown sugar optional. Experiment with the spices, especially the peppers. You may like it hotter or milder. 

You can use this as it is for a marinade, or baste it onto meats on the grill as they cook. When using as a marinade I like to add a little more bourbon to thin it out after its cooked and cooled down.

Most Active