Greek Chicken Lemon Soup (Avgolemono) - altered from ****ari cookbook recipe

Sarah M.
on 2/1/15 10:20 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

Avgolemono

1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 3/4lb)

1 quart unsalted chicken stock

3 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water

3 large egg yolks

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (plus more if desired)

Salt & pepper

Chopped fresh dill

Put chicken breast in medium pot with stock.  Bring to simmer.  Add 1 tsp salt, cover, and reduce heat to low.  Coo****il chicken cooked through.  Remove chicken breast and when cool enough to handle, shred chicken by hand.  (To make this soft-food phase friendly, I cut the chicken into pieces and blenderized it at this point.)

Return broth to simmer over med-high heat.  Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and return to simmer.

In medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 1/3 lemon juice, then whisk in hot broth, a little at a time, CONSTANTLY WHISKING, to warm the eggs.  If the eggs start to clump, you've made scrambled eggs and have to start over with this step.   If successful, return mixture to the soup pot and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.  Remove from heat.  (Stir in chicken if you didn't blenderize it in step 1.)  Taste and adjust the salt and lemon.  Add fresh dill and pepper.  

The original ****ari recipe included rice and 2 cups more water, but I like LOTS of flavor and figured I could skip the water because I didn't add rice.  

Nutrition Info (per Spark People Recipe Calculator):  Calories: 137.2; Total Fat, 4.4; Cholesterol, 107.6; Sodium, 351.7; Potassium, 143.1; Total Carb, 8.2g (no fiber, 1.9g sugar); Protein 15.1g

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

Most Active