"Pancakes"

K P.
on 2/15/16 9:57 am
DS on 07/08/14

I posted this to the DS page with my daily eating but thought other might want it as well. As I noted this is for one serving but I couldn't imagine eating it alone. I split it with my BF who hasn't had surgery and even 1/2 of this recipe fills him up. 

This recipe is different and you definitely need to keep an open mind. BUT, they taste so good. My boyfriend couldn't tell what the different ingredient was. I top them with homemade no sugar apple butter and no sugar added peanut butter. 

"Pancake" recipe

1.5 ounce plain pork rinds (Crush them - I use my ninja)

2 eggs

1/4 milk or whatever milk alternative you use (i.e. almond, soy, hemp, half&half - I have whole milk so I used that)

1-2 tsp cinnamon (I use closer to 2 tsp but i'm not big on measuring it out)

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp vanilla

1 TBL Erythritol (the recipe I got this from used 20 drops liquid stevia, but I don't have that so I used what I have, i'm sure any sweetener would work)

Butter, coconut oil, etc for frying (whatever you feel comfortable with - I personally use butter because, well, butter)

1. Finely crush your pork rinds - again I use my ninja equivalent - the original recipe used a rolling pin and a ziplock bag - my theory was the finer the better - set aside
  2. In a bowl mix the eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and sweetener
  3. Add the pork rinds to the liquid and mix until you get most of the lumps out (I usually have a few small ones) 
  4. Let the mix sit for 5 minutes.
    1.    Note on the batter - I noticed that it appears grainy - but thats okay - and it gets thicker than it started out as - thats what we want
  5. Pour about 1/3 of the batter onto a heated skillet with your melted butter (I would say I use about 1/2 TBL for each pancake)
  6. Let cook for about 1-2 minutes 
    1.    These will not "bubble" like traditional pancakes. For me I know its time to flip when they are pretty much set and move around the pan when I shake it
  7. Flip over, I remove them from the heat at this point and move them around the pan to soak up whatever butter was left
  8. Put onto your plate and enjoy with whatever toppings you enjoy. 
  9. Start over with the melted butter and 1/3 batter for the next batch.
    1.    Also, another reason I remove from the heat to finish off each pancake is so the pan cools slightly for my next batch. 

Note to RNY'ers - I wouldn't recommend eating more than 1 of the 3 pancakes this recipe makes. They are filling and because of the pork rinds they do expand in your stomach. Just my 2 cents though. 

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do. 

Heres the nutritional breakdown from myfitnesspal for the entire recipe - who knew cinnamon had so many carbs

Nutrition Facts
Servings 1.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 483 
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 27 g 42 %
Saturated Fat 11 g 55 %
Monounsaturated Fat 12 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 441 mg 147 %
Sodium 985 mg 41 %
Potassium 193 mg 6 %
Total Carbohydrate 12 g 4 %
Dietary Fiber 4 g 16 %
Sugars 5 g  
Protein 42 g 84 %
Vitamin A  14 %
Vitamin C  1 %
Calcium  19 %
Iron  12 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/16 3:18 pm

Have you tried banana egg pancakes? The texture is a little different from actual pancakes but they're super easy and full of protein. The recipe is on this board but it's simple enough to make from scratch! Just mash one banana with one large egg, mix, and cook on the stovetop.

Most Active