Apple cinnamon quinoa porridge for breakfast

thlmz45
on 9/3/16 3:27 am

Hey!! Isn't hot cereal for breakfast a great way to start the day? I have made this for my DS last and he simply loved it. Here is the recipe for apple cinnamon quinoa porridge. 

Ingredients : 

3/4 cup (175 mL) white or 3-colour blend quinoa

1 tbsp (15 mL) whole wheat flour

1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar

1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon

1 cup (250 mL) water

2 cups (500 mL) 1% milk

1 large red apple, diced

2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped toasted nuts or sunflower seeds (optional)

Additional ground cinnamon, to taste

Directions : 

In a deep, medium-size saucepan, whisk flour, sugar and cinnamon into milk. Stir in quinoa and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring often, for 20 minutes. Stir in diced apple, cover and simmer, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until quinoa and apple pieces are tender. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 3 minutes. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with nuts or sunflower seeds (if desired) and cinnamon. Add a hint of maple syrup or brown sugar, if desired. Tips: Quinoa can have a bitter coating, called saponin, on the surface of the grain. Most quinoa sold is pre-rinsed but it's best to rinse it just in case. Place quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse well under cold, running water and drain well. Use a deep pan when simmering recipes using milk, as it tends to bubble up. Keep a close eye on the pan and lift the lid and stir frequently to make sure the milk doesn't boil over. Use an apple variety that holds its flavour when cooked, such as Empire, McIntosh, Northern Spy, Idared or Spartan.

Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 30 min.
Makes: 4 servings

Source : http://www.physiomed.ca/blog/healthy-eating-recipes/apple-cinnamon-quinoa-porridge/

Charlie12
on 9/3/16 5:43 am

Very nice, thank you!

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/16 2:00 am

Thank you so much for sharing this!! I will surely give it a try.

Most Active