Turkey for one?

Donna L.
on 11/17/16 4:37 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Meijer has whole turkey 42 cents a pound.  That's incredible for protein.  I was wondering if its feasible to buy for one person and prepare it, then freeze the meat and stuff in 6oz portions.  Is this a gargantuan effort and will make me sick of turkey forever? Thoughts?

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

ttfan
on 11/18/16 2:34 am
RNY on 08/15/16

I love turkey and a cook quite a few of them through out the year. That's what I would do is just freeze up portions, it stays good for 4 to 6 months after you cook it, so go for it!

High weight 335,Surgery weight 293.5,

M1- 24.5 lb,. M2 14, M3-9.5, M4- 7.5, M5- 6.5

Donna L.
on 11/18/16 5:48 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I always used to buy just the frozen turkey breasts.  Now I have no idea why I never tried this!  Thanks so much :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/19/16 9:02 pm
You defintely can freeze it. Turkey holds up pretty well. Plus there is so much you can do with it. Eat it as is, use it in soups, make it into a "Sheppards pie", put it on top of salads, etc. I don't think i'd buy a whole turkey though since I mostly only like the white meat. I'd buy the whole breasts though and make that.

Another good bargain this time of year is ham. Another protein that holds up to freezing...and is very versatile....it can also be used as a breakfast food.

Scott
Donna L.
on 11/20/16 9:10 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I usually eat steak for breakfast when I do eat it, heh.

I'll definitely check the ham out, too.  I normally detest white meat (I eat a very high fat diet - ketogenic) but I'll be freezing the turkey white meat with sage brown butter sauce, which will help considerably.

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/20/16 12:49 pm
I've always preferred white meat chicken over other proteins....although I do like ground beef.

I do a high fat diet too...but that is a result of my "new" innards.

How do you. Make a sage butter sauce. That sounds AWESOME!!!!
Donna L.
on 11/20/16 2:02 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I've always eaten high fat/low carb.  It often has the best results for weight loss pre-op, too.

Here's the recipe I use. :)  It's super easy.  I scale it up or down.  It makes any protein taste better.

Most Active