Protein

Jkcjc125
on 12/16/16 1:08 pm
VSG on 12/12/16

I am only 4 day out of surgery and they are telling me I am not getting enough protein .  I can't do the normal protein shakes they make me vomit anyone have any suggestions ?  I am desperate ,  finding it hard to remember to drink also!

Donna L.
on 12/18/16 10:00 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

If protein shakes are making you vomit you must call and let your surgeon know.  That is highly unusual.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Bonkerz1
on 12/20/16 2:44 am
VSG on 06/12/16

Yay someone with the same issue.  I couldn't stomach protein shakes either. I added protein enhanced milk with a tsp of unsweetened yoghurt. Lots of broth.  I was so pleased when the liquid stage was over. It doesn't last forever. It was easier when I got to purée. I had just made beef casserole and puréed that. Plus the kept up the yoghurt. Good luck.

Jkcjc125
on 12/23/16 7:18 am, edited 12/22/16 11:18 pm
VSG on 12/12/16

Thanks! Trying to get in some protein but struggling.  The shakes aren't good for me I tried Isoprue and that even upset me . Don't know what else to try, eggs are getting boring lol. And there is  only so much Greek yogurt one person can handle .

sobertina
on 1/1/17 4:55 pm
VSG on 05/24/16

I couldn't do any of the regular protein shakes either because of the dairy base.  I discovered ISOPURE Zero Carb Protein Drinks.  They are clear liquids and I tolerate them just fine (kind of like a Gatorade).  I order them from LuckyVitamin.com to get the cheapest price.  A 20oz bottle has 40-grams of protein and only 160 calories.  You get your protein and liquids in one shot.  They've been a lifesaver for me.  I'm 7 months post-op and still drink one every day.

HW 463.9 (11/5/15), SW 382.7 (5/24/16),  CW 288.4

upstateadkgirl
on 6/5/17 12:35 pm
VSG on 02/20/17

I too had issues with the shakes after surgery. At one of my support group meetings they suggested Genpro. Amazon sells it. 30 grams protein per scoop and I mix with crystal light. That I can handle. 3 months out for me now and I still can't do the shakes. Good luck. Your post was back in December, so you probably have found something before now.

Linda

Age 64 5'3'

HW: 248 SW: 209 CW: 178 GW ?

Most Active